Step-by-step guide to locking down your Facebook account

If not using/doing something popular wasn’t something to brag about, we could cut total internet traffic by a measurable fraction right there.

She’s your grandmother. It’s okay to use “her medication”.

1. Not everybody uses it. I don’t. Because I don’t need it. And yes, this is one of the few things I feel self righteous about. And I’m enjoying it thoroughly.
  2. BB is Cory’s soapbox. So he can post as he sees fit.
  3. Ain’t no such thing as a free lunch.
4 Likes

Cory knows what he’s doing when he writes “still using Facebook” and “seriously creepy” - he wants to elicit an emotional reaction. And while there’s no denying he can write whatever he pleases, I don’t think me reacting to it is in any way wrong or not expected.

More and more people use Facebook and don’t think targeting ads is seriously creepy. In fact, of all the things corporations do with our profiles, showing us targeted ads is pretty benign. Denying insurance, loans or employment is far more serious.

I’d love social networks (and networks in general) to become decentralized, but until that happens, Facebook is actually a pretty great tool for connecting to others. Cory doesn’t like it, and that’s fine. You don’t like it and that’s fine too. I’m not trying to convince you to create an account. If I was able to do that to people I wouldn’t have to send my father in law pictures of our kids via email :slight_smile: But being self-righteous about not using Facebook is silly, and calling ad targeting “seriously creepy” seems more silly still.

I am inclined to think that someday Facebook will do something that will seriously fuck over its users. And I’d rather be thought a wee bit self righteous than tell my friends and family “I told ya so”.

Like what, for instance?

You good with this?? Admittedly Facebook didn’t “do” it, but they made it possible.

1 Like

Yes, US government can certainly do creepy things with your data, no doubt about it. I’m not ok with it, but I can’t vote in US elections.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.