Stephen King's 1986 directorial debut 'Maximum Overdrive' is still tons of fun

To be clear, I’m not saying Maximum Overdrive was a good bad movie. Just that it was almost bad enough to cause my daughter to stop loving me. Like. A gnat’s whisker away.

I snagged Running Man when I ran across it for around $4 because my wife doesn’t remember seeing it, and she’s a fan of Richard Dawson. We haven’t watched it yet, but now you’ve made me look forward to finding the time.

1 Like

Running Man is so good. Of course the movie bares little to no resemblance to the book, but i can forgive that considering how entertaining the movie is.

Sleepwalkers is another one that might be considered “so bad its good” but i haven’t seen it in ages and remember it being very WTF.

6 Likes

Oh man, my wife and I LOVE Maximum Overdrive. Mostly for the over the top quotes.

“Fucked if I know, Bubba”

“Curtis?! Are you dead?”

“Dear, this machine just called me an asshole!”

We definitely take more joy than average in B movies like The Warriors and Escape from New York, and while nowhere near as epic as those, Max Overdrive is still a lot of fun if you like that particular flavor of pop culture junk food.

3 Likes

sooooo much Cocaine

9 Likes

I’d say The Warriors is flat out a great movie, wouldn’t even consider it a B movie at all. Escape From New York however is the very definition of a campy B Movie.

4 Likes

The only reason I went to see this in the theaters back when in came out was for the AC/DC soundtrack. I barely even remember the movie.

1 Like

Heresy.

7 Likes

I love this movie. (and the other-leg-of-the-trousers-of-time story proposed by @davejenk1ns )

OT: Escape from New York is another one I love. So much, that when we did our Rt. 66 trip, we stopped at the bridge in E. St. Louis that they used for the film. And had our rental car broken into, and a phone & various stuff stolen. Good times, yeah…

3 Likes

I was in high school when it came out, but didn’t see it - and I’m afraid the trailer doesn’t really make me want to hurry up and watch it now - but the soundtrack was a boffo hit with my classmates and me, and now I have “Who Made Who” stuck in my head. So… thanks for that.

1 Like

You should have toured the Fox Theater and Union Station instead. Though they are not as run down these days.

The film is headed to Blu-ray on October 23rd, which will include the special features listed below.

• NEW: Audio Commentary with Writer Tony Magistrale, Author of Hollywood’s Steven King
  • NEW: Audio Commentary by Actor and Comedian Jonah Ray and Blumhouse Film Executive Ryan Turek
  • NEW: “Truck Stop Tales” Featurette – An Interview with Producer Martha De Laurentiis
  • NEW: “Rage Against the Machines” Featurette – An Interview with Actress Laura Harrington
  • NEW: “Honeymoon Horrors” Featurette – Interviews with Actor John Short and Actress Yeardley Smith
  • NEW: “Maximum Carnage” Featurette – An Interview with Make-Up Effects Creator Dean Gates
  • “A Kid in King’s Court” Featurette – An Interview with Actor Holter Graham
  • NEW: “The Wilmington Factor” Featurette – A Look Back at the Filming of Maximum Overdrive with Members of the Production Crew in North Carolina
  • NEW: “Who Made Who?” Featurette – An Interview with Murray Engleheart, Co-Author of AC/DC: Maximum Rock & Roll
  • NEW: “Goblin Resurrectus” Featurette – The Restoration of the Happy Toyz Golbin
  • Behind-the-Scenes Footage
  • Still Gallery
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • TV Spots
    https://comicbook.com/horror/2018/08/21/maximum-overdrive-stephen-king-blu-ray-details/
1 Like

warriors-can-you-dig-it

5 Likes

4 Likes
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.