Steve Stevens tells the stories behind Billy Idol's Rebel Yell

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/03/26/steve-stevens-tells-the-stories-behind-billy-idols-rebel-yell.html

3 Likes

That was a great interview! Odd timing. I was at the liquor store yesterday and saw Rebel Yell bourbon on the shelf. The song immediately came to mind.

3 Likes

That’s a decent Whiskey/Bourbon, for like $10 US.

1 Like

Steve has always been one of my favorite guitarists. Really enjoy his Flamenco.A.Go.Go album when I want something a little different.

2 Likes

So… Ron Wood’s parties came with cheap booze. Hopefully cocaine wasn’t full of baby laxative…

2 Likes

I remember reading an interview with Stevens back in the 90’s where he mentions being a fan of Italian prog band PFM (Premiata Forneria Marconi-- “The Award Winning Marconi Bakery.”)

I thought that was odd at the time, but most musicians have diverse tastes.

2 Likes

We also learn more about Stevens’ diverse influences, from Chuck Berry to Leo Kottke to Yes’ Steve Howe.

I’ve never seen a guitarist of that era, 60s thru the 90s, profiled who doesn’t have a similar range of influences…usually they cite many blues players, a few classic 50s rockers, a classic rocker or two, and some more esoteric players.

I kept trying to imagine what SS looked like without retaining his '80s hair, and I came up with:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.