Steven Spielberg feels guilty about how Jaws made sharks look bad and led to their senseless deaths

The Island. Here’s the movie trailer:

2 Likes

Brian dePalma? who may claim that he was immitating hitchcock, but whatever…

1 Like

Bloody hell, that looks atrocious.
Never seen the film and, thanks to that trailer, never will, but thanks for posting it.
I did, somewhat stupidly, sit through “Beast”, a made-for-TV 2-parter.
Oh well, live and learn little.

1 Like

It should be abundantly clear to anyone watching that it’s a fictitious movie, as is pretty much everything else that comes out of Hollywood. How much more clear did you expect it to be?

I’m not sure you fully appreciate how many of society’s worldviews are influenced by the popular fiction we consume, especially when that fiction is presented as a realistic drama rather than a far-fetched fantasy setting.

For example, millions of people think the justice system works more or less the way it is presented in cop shows like Law & Order.

9 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

And it’s not like this is new to humanity, either. Our world view has always been shaped by stories and myths, since we made up stuff around the fire and drew shit in caves…

4 Likes

That’s irrelevant, because people forget facts and remember feeling. Jaws made them afraid.

Hell, I used to love watching Shark Week. Now I can’t stand it. Why? Because it doesn’t matter how many facts they present; Shark Week makes people afraid of sharks, even though it should make them ashamed.

11 Likes

Every Shark Week show:

“It’s important to remember that sharks are not the terrifying murder machines presented in movies like Jaws. Now for more footage of TERRIFYING SHARKS DOING TERRIFYING THINGS, hosted by some fake experts who will harass wildlife in the name of fake TV science!”

shark-week

7 Likes

If you don’t know about a subject how do you tell which are the fictitious parts?

Spielberg’s Jurassic Park was fiction too. Now people remember Dilophosaurus as frilled and venomous but there’s no reason to think so (Crichton made that up since there should be some surprises). And yet dinosaurs did move in herds and evolve into birds, as the movie helped popularize. Were people silly to pick up on the first, or the second?

7 Likes

Could you go up 2 more on the condescension, I didn’t quite catch it.

5 Likes

point pointing GIF by Shalita Grant

Canadian Lol GIF by CBC

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.