Great white shark attacks on people really are honest mistakes, scientists show

Originally published at: Great white shark attacks on people really are honest mistakes, scientists show | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Sorry gov, I thought you was a seal,
Really… you ain’t even my type
It’s a laugh
You’ve gotta laugh…no hard feelin’s

15 Likes

22 Likes

I’m willing to forgive this one. The older and fatter I get, I honestly make the same mistake when I see myself in a mirror.

15 Likes

tumblr_o7d4xrYTd81qfr6udo1_500

13 Likes

I get the feeling that sharks don’t mind the meal either way.

4 Likes

As a kid, I remember when Jaws came out and suddenly our family was no longer going to the suddenly shark netted town beach, going out clamming, swimming off the rocks in, I kid you not, “Shark Cove,” or diving off the boat when the fish weren’t biting. I caught a tiny dogfish, just over a foot long, and my dad was going all “don’t touch that, I’ll go get the gaff hook and cut the lead” when we normally would just net and haul blufish and other game onto the deck, and dad would fight for five minutes with pliers to get his hooks back. I never had a fear of sharks, and studies like this I think show that for all it is a great movie, perhaps it should have taken a less denegrative approach to the villian.

3 Likes

Why’s the comparison always to “fat” seals? Some of us more closely resemble moderately chubby walruses, thank you very much!

9 Likes

Dogfish are poisonous, so you probably shouldn’t touch one

Oh, come on. Mistake? They’re apex predators. Humans are definitely fair game for them.

(I mean, I certainly can believe that they can’t tell the difference. But so what?)

4 Likes

Wrong dogfish. Squalus acanthias, the Atlantic Spiny Dogfish is delicious, sustainable, and probably what you had in your last dodgy fish-and-chips.

1 Like

About time they started fucking apologising then, huh?

8 Likes

Apex predators with bad eyesight? Yeah, this is why I’ll do my swimming in a pool and check the peephole before opening the door (in case of Landshark). :grimacing:

7 Likes

This would be an opportune time for some shark snark, but it would be hypocritical considering that I have confused chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin cookies before.

8 Likes

You’ve never been bitten by a shark?
Then all those precautions are sensible!!

4 Likes

I don’t know, maybe a diver in a dark suit looks all seal-like? Could be, the point is that such a shark’s bite is going to hurt. A lot. Even if it’s a honest mistake.
Maybe a change in suit design? Colors, more dissuading shapes? Mmmm.

3 Likes

5776a7935108a5329c78bf6c636e63ea2fe0af73_2_374x500

13 Likes

I harbor such primal fear of sharks, to the point of keeping me out of surfing classes, that I first read the title as “rarely” honest mistakes!`

I blame picking up my mom’s copy of Jaws when exploring my new reading skills.

2 Likes

Squalus acanthias are edible, but have venomous spines. They can sting you if you try to touch them.

Yeah, yeah, tell it to the judge, sharky.

2 Likes