Great white shark attacks on people really are honest mistakes, scientists show

3 Likes

Well, that is not what the documentary, Sharknado, taught me.

1 Like

Peter Benchley regretted the effect his novel had on how people saw sharks.

4 Likes

Sharks can be quite friendly under the right circumstances. Being a surfer ain’t one of them, but scuba diving? If they trust you then you can give them pets (see video).

5 Likes

nurse sharks are abundant in the waters around here. they are very graceful when they swim, but are mostly shy and hide under rocks. they feed on crustaceans at the bottom, so their mouths are further back and teeth are more grind-y that rip-saw-like. they can get used to divers and be fed by hand and be patted on they little noses! we had a young female one that lived under our bayside dock, she liked squid!
we do have reef sharks, hammerheads, bulls, occasional tigers and plenty of whites further offshore. sharks are pretty damn cool, if you ask me.
bucket list shark encounter for me: swim with a whale shark! talk about beautiful, school bus sized fishies! so freakin cool!
all-in-all, shark bites in the Keys are rare. upcoast from Miami on up, dangerous encounters with (mostly) bulls are common.

8 Likes

qmiKvsh

9 Likes

I remember reading a newspaper article about a scuba diver who got bitten on the crotch by a wobbegong shark. I especially enjoyed reading that article out loud to my brother, who had just gotten into scuba diving.

1 Like

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.