Diver swims with 20-foot great white shark

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/18/diver-swims-with-20-foot-great.html

3 Likes

I just lost it at the “wiggling shark” graphic superimposed over the map. Genuine LOL.

9 Likes

Magnificent critter, but swimming next to her is the biggest hard pass I can imagine.

14 Likes

11 Likes

[Insert “How about no” meme here]

5 Likes

marine biologist Ocean Ramsey (yes, Ocean is her first name!)

Her brother, Chum Ramsey, works in accounting.

28 Likes

Uh “biggest shark,” not even close.
She is a beautiful old girl though.

3 Likes

Still not as big as my “Nope!”

6 Likes

Wait. So sharks aren’t vicious creatures who attack anything at a moments notice with no provocation whatsoever?!?

Dammit I need to talk to Hollywood about lying to me all these years.

6 Likes

What might the “Bird Box” like fallout from this be?

2 Likes

Rule #1 for swimming with sharks: don’t look like a seal.

13 Likes

I thought that was #2, #1 being “Don’t swim with sharks.”

9 Likes

3 Likes

She isn’t a “biologist,” though, is she? Googling around, it seems that “model and tour operator” are pretty close, maybe more charitably “conservation advocate.”

I’m with the marine biologists who are saying that swimming with a great white isn’t a good idea, for the diver or for the shark. And I’m deeply sympathetic to the one saying it’s not conservation but self promotion (see the WaPo story on this).

9 Likes

@Exonauts

4 Likes

8TOi5Yr2bA2Va7zNbgL3mcoBfVsCANz5wvIZf-avOyYmt3WbNiIuHLaVVxtOiv7_avJFMdDx-mfejP1k4Fj3rrpGWdHl1QRYynzdt1Bdl0byjM0eC_1FzIgFjYZ1VvTYTr-L3NN1yOBZLOyAwXSlYMqByj0-ww%3Dw350-h295-nc

4 Likes

I liked this movie when it was called Grizzly Man. (Not really, that movie was too gruesome for me!)

1 Like

Her parents may call her Ocean, but we call her Chum.

1 Like

they always look like soulless eating machines to me – how can you tell when they just want to swim around with you and be petted? seems safer to just stay far far away.

What a majestic creature.
Still, I would prefer to atmire it from a safe distance.

5 Likes