Still reliant on Flash, South Africa's tax agency creates its own Flash-compatible browser

Originally published at: Still reliant on Flash, South Africa's tax agency creates its own Flash-compatible browser | Boing Boing

1 Like

Why does that feel like a lot more work than simply updating their site?

3 Likes

I hope this was at least less expensive (as measured in time spent for developers) or else this is even more tragic. Making a browser may be less work than you think. Clone a webkit implementation and do the work to allow Flash or bundle by default. Vs. get multiple teams to rewrite all their code.

More generally I feel like Software folks need a word for esoteric, but quick solutions to avoid doing straight-forward but copious amounts of work. It’s some shade of hack. I’m thinking a cluster-facade, golden straight-life-jacket, or maybe rusty linchpin?

2 Likes

Why do financial sites use Flash at all? Does it include some kind of easy encryption function?

1 Like

id imagine it was an easy way to transfer data back and forth. browsers didn’t always do the whole xml or json bidirectional data transfer displayed by changing html with javascript thing.

i think at one point there were people even using action script on the severside, it’s possible ( though probably unlikely ) their whole infrastructure is linked to proprietary adobe tech.

most likely it’s all down to not being allowed to hire people for the upgrade

3 Likes

Meanwhile in South Korea obsolete security regulations mandate the use of ActiveX plugins.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Yeah, I know several vendors who have also released their own Chrome forks with Flash re-enabled. Old shit dies hard.

2 Likes

Its not the only place, doddle learn, in the uk, has done the same thing, thou to tbf to them they had chosen to close the whole company down rather than re do all their flash, but with covid, and the rise of home learning, they have done so much business they have decided to keep the company going and do the conversion and in the mean time they have a doodle only browser.

\i think at one point there were people even using action script on the severside, it’s possible ( though probably unlikely ) their whole infrastructure is linked to proprietary adobe tech.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.