Stocks plunge after Trump travel ban; NYSE suspends trading

tumblr_745a2b6304b05db642a34ec2df25ead9_231ad8d2_640

51 Likes

Ugh. Have you met people?

23 Likes

I like how there’s a safety mechanism in the market, but if it trips once, that’s it for the day. That’s the shittiest circuit breaker I’ve ever heard of.

5 Likes

Not in general, but on a temporary basis, certainly. Countries routinely detain returning citizens for customs purposes, or turn back planes and ships for security reasons.

They can’t take away your right to be in your home country, but they can block any specific way you might actually get back in.

2 Likes

Huh? There are three levels of breakers:

• Level 1: A drop of 7% from the prior day’s closing price of the S&P 500 triggers a 15-minute trading halt. Trading is not halted if the drop occurs at or after 3:25 p.m. ET.
  • Level 2: A drop of 13% triggers a 15-minute halt. Trading is not halted if the drop occurs at or after 3:25 p.m. ET.
  • Level 3: A drop of 20% triggers a halt for the rest of the trading day, and trading resumes the following day.
12 Likes

OK, I was going by the summary in the article, which mentioned the breaker only trips once a day. So each of the three only triggers once a day?

2 Likes

THIS. It should have been this.

25 Likes

Correct. As of now, the market is down around 8.9% (which is fucking terrifying, especially on top of earlier losses) so they’ve got a bit to go before the next breaker. That breaker would be an enormously huge deal, and god forbid it gets to the 20% loss in a day. That way lies collapse.

11 Likes

I would argue that he does not have that skill at all, he’s too shallow, venal and just plain stupid. It’s the GOP Senate and other GOPpers that give him cover. He’s a complete moron, not even clever.

5 Likes

Does a shoop exist of The Joker sticking his head out of the vehicle window feeling the breeze, but instead it’s really Donald Trump?

7 Likes

Except to the best of my knowledge, South Korea is not banned, despite a huge disease burden, not white nor English speaking. How did he miss this one?

12 Likes

With regard to the election, it’s important to note that Trump’s approval rating has been incredibly resilient throughout his presidency. It’s still early days, but even his fucked up handling of a pandemic doesn’t seem to be moving the needle much.

Memory doesn’t even come into it anymore. The past doesn’t matter - what does is blind support for your “guy”. I’m left wondering what it would actually take to tip current Trump supporters away from him.

Ugh indeed.

12 Likes

I think the only thing that would change their minds is if a hot mic caught him saying “So Hillary and I were hanging out at Barack’s place talking about how to fix the environmental crisis…”

6 Likes

I don’t even think that would. The next day people would be claiming that Trump discovered global warming and the country would be plastered with ads about how Virginia coal miners were being transitioned into the clean energy economy. It is a cult of personality.

ETA: I think that’s one way dictatorships evolve. They start out pleasing the people who got them into power, and once they have crystallized that support they start doing the really horrible things that people maybe wouldn’t have approved of before. Trump tapped into the common-garden racism and anti-elitism to get elected, and while he’s done some abhorrent things it’s all been in service to the base. Just wait to see what happens if he can consolidate power though.

8 Likes

Shit. I’ll be working until I’m 80. Or drop dead - whichever is first.

5 Likes

NYSE halts trading = Trump gets bailed out again

If I thought it would change supporters’ mind (note the singular), I’d say let the market burn.

We’ll just see how it’s anything from “Pelosi planned it”, to Hilary clones.

4 Likes

Well, presumably they know what’s up–it’s not their first rodeo.

26 Likes

Every time Trump gives a speech the market crumbles. Can we start a petition to have Trump go golfing until May or June? We could maybe give the virus response job to a rock?

5 Likes

He isn’t planning that already anyway?

10 Likes

I think that as a temporary measure, sure. You can delay or restrict entry. But likewise you can’t just strand American citizens in foreign countries indefinitely without support.

So as an example it should be legally OK to bar citizens from returning through regular border checks and commercial transit. Organize accomodations or quarantine locally through embassies and consulates, and then move people through more controlled means. Say military transports to a single entry point.

But you couldn’t just tell people no. Though lord knows Trump’s administration has already tried through their existing travel ban attempts. Mostly focusing on naturalized citizens and permanent residents. But they’ve caught a decent number of non naturalized citizens in their shit.

3 Likes