Strange reflections on dwarf planet Ceres

2 Likes

3 Likes

Something to keep in mind when this is revealed to be patches of shiny ice and the conspiracy theorists start in:

Why would NASA conceal evidence of alien artefacts on Ceres when that disclosure is EXACTLY what it would take to rally popular support behind quadrupling NASA’s exploration budget?

1 Like

Gmork is most terrifying inhabitant of Fantasia. Even more than spooky sphinxes. Also bonus for scariest house.

Gmork is what my imagination resolves the total darkness near the threshold of caves into.

1 Like

That would actually be the exact evidence required for a conservative led legislative body to pucker it’s fiscal sphincter indefinitely. We almost didn’t fix the Hubble when it was rumored there was no sign of heaven up there.

2 Likes

Not if they wanted to win the next election. I’m assuming good, newsworthy evidence here.

Good evidence, and “newsworthy” evidence aren’t even in the same state, much less the same ballpark.

Go ahead and look at any news story regarding a scientific advance regarding aging or battery technology. Science columns in mainstream news sources only exist to reprint press releases from universities regarding preliminary studies. I find it helpful to go straight to the university referenced and ask the researcher for a copy of their pre-print. Usually I’m disappointed by the piddly little n, or the total lack of blinding.

The really good research that’s carried out methodically doesn’t usually get printed until journals like Science or Nature accept them. By then the lab’s have actually taken the time to follow up at least somewhat and need to include the proper caveats up front. Although NASA research is pretty good about presenting what they find right away while taking a cautious position about the implications of their work.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.