Strange sci-fi sounds from frozen lake indicate an alien base underneath

Originally published at: Strange sci-fi sounds from frozen lake indicate an alien base underneath | Boing Boing

3 Likes

It’s a rock. Somebody threw a rock. That’s what it sounds like.

16 Likes

If you’re gonna have an alien base beneath a lake, ideally you’d want something really really deep, and something really really remote. . . .

5 Likes

Swimming GIF

15 Likes

“This is 100 per cent proof of an alien base below this lake in Colorado.”

16 Likes

That sounded pretty normal for me. I think it is just strain in the ice. If you go out skating on lakes you get used to sounds like that when it’s cold and the ice really solid.

10 Likes

You can hear these exact same sounds from telephone lines if it’s quiet and breezy enough.

11 Likes

Doesn’t amplifying this kind of BS story about aliens and conspiracies just serve to perpetuate the problem in the media? I feel like even calling it out as bunk but still sharing the link just gives more credit to the source in the eyes of algorithms and the the tragically underinformed, no?

4 Likes

Winter camping as a kid in the boy sprouts near a lake was always full of these sounds as the ice thickened and cracked. The loudest noises were always when the sun first hit the ice, the sudden influx of energy causing the ice to expand and push against itself. A great way, if somewhat terrifying to the younger scouts, to be woken up.

Sadly, not aliens though. We checked just to be sure. And I hope, several decades on, that Keith has finally forgiven the rest of us for that.

4 Likes
4 Likes

? this is just how ice sounds? Always? Can be rock thrown on it somewhere, or (probably) the ice is cracking / settling somewhere. No matter what the origin of the sound is the sound waves travel back&forth over the ice sheet and that is what produces these sounds.

I love that sound. Makes me think of ice skating on the lakes in friesland. But given the title I expected something, I don’t know, weirder?

7 Likes

In a similar vein…

5 Likes

Star Wars’ foley artist noticed that, too.

5 Likes

Ice makes sounds like that when the temerature changes. Its due to thermal expansion.

3 Likes

This Is Cool GIF by MOODMAN

My personal experience was bicycling along interstate 10 in rural Texas when I stopped for a break and there was no traffic. I heard the “blaster sound” and figured out it was the telephone wires beside the roadway.

1 Like

And then you turned around and found your entire village reduced to ashes?

3 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

Now we’re talking! Those are some weird sounds.