Streamer delivers savage take-down of sexist BS in her chat

What color is the rope she strings up her enemies heads up with, outside the castle gates? Thats what I wanna know.

8 Likes

BoingBoing is one of the few (only?) places on the internet where I actually want to read the comments because I think I’ll learn something from them. That’s pretty amazing.

25 Likes

Agreed. The comment section here is probably the main thing that brings me back to this site over and over again. The articles are really enhanced by the sheer amount of knowledge dropped in the comments. I learn something new at least once a week because of it :smiley:

14 Likes

Right? That was a mic drop moment right there.

Also, since I didn’t get the Mike Birbiglia reference, here he comes to the rescue:
https://twitter.com/birbigs/status/1354471174512717825?s=21

19 Likes

FINISH HIM!

16 Likes

Thank you for providing the relevant video to accompany her comment. I’ve heard Mike’s standup a number of times and love him, but didn’t know this particular reference.

5 Likes

Why is that?

2 Likes

4 Likes

I saw his 1 man show and well, this was redeeming. 90 minutes of a guy thinking he is special for not wanting a kid then loving his kid was rough.

1 Like

It’s good, except that jokes weren’t ruined in this sense by “people who aren’t good at telling jokes.”

This is more about assholes who say they were joking when they knew they weren’t. They were flinging sexist Poo, got called out, and are now resorting to a weaselly denial that their hands are smeared with poo.

14 Likes

Right? I can’t be that eloquent when I’m focusing just on what I’m saying, and barely able to muster two-syllable words when I’m trying to multi-task.

8 Likes

I was expecting a couple of throwaway zingers. She actually had a fair amount of empathy for the guy.

5 Likes

So what’s impressive to you is her empathy for someone who’s acting like a dick?

Cuz, you know, what impressed me was the quick, thorough rundown of exactly what was wrong with what he said.

(All while not missing a beat in that game she was playing.)

10 Likes

Well, yes. I do not empathize with someone acting like a dick. When someone else is able to do that, it surprises and impresses me.

2 Likes

I’m not sure where you are seeing empathy. Yes, she did say some things to map out his perspective, but every time she did that, it was clear that it was so she could twist the knife in the next moment.

1 Like

Here’s an even better idea.

https://twitter.com/negaoryx/status/1355534822656024578?s=21

11 Likes

Brütal

1 Like

‘Empathy’ is a slippery concept in some respects.

There’s a lot of confusion in common use between using it to mean strictly those who both know and care(probably closest to the etymology) about the pain of others; and broadened uses that cover one or both of people who are well meaning with respect to the feelings of others but aren’t necessarily all that perceptive of them and people who are exquisitely facile in discerning the feelings of others; but…are not necessarily…benevolently inclined when using that information.

It doesn’t help that, in this case, the person under inspection is lousy enough that ‘empathy’ and ‘failure analysis’ are not necessarily distinct operations.

4 Likes

Agreed. I don’t think empathizing always has to imply approving, but rather (in this case) being able to reach deep in, while her hands are still gaming, and really do surgery on the motivations and mentality of her harasser. I, too, expected a couple brilliant insults but not much more.

2 Likes

that was amazing.

1 Like