Street Fighter: The Movie: The 20-year Postmortem

I would say that Star Wars I, II, and III were designed as a movie to be easily turned into a game. There’s even a conveyor belt scene just waiting to be turned into a side scroller. When I’m watching a movie and I see the game they want to turn it into in my head it’s enough to make me walk out.

4 Likes

Also: ET. There’s the genesis of all horrible games from movies.

1 Like

Wow, the RottenTomatoes ratings really paint a dismal picture of video game movies. The highest is a 44% for the plodding and incomprehensible Final Fantasy movie. I’m a little surprised Mortal Kombat scored so low, as I remember that being a big hit with my (high school age) peers when it came out. I had hopes that a cult movie status would push its rating higher over time.

1 Like

For you, the day Street Fighter graced your theater was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.

1 Like

Directed by the DP from the first one.

Groundhog Day was structurally a video game, when you think about it.

I remember thinking at the time that they’d done a half decent job with that one. At least I was entertained. Except for the blonde chick who had clearly been given about half an hour of Taekwondo training before shooting. You cannot make me believe that there wasn’t a female martial artist out there capable of taking the part, and an acting background isn’t exactly a useful pre-requisite for a movie like that.

I’ll have to see if I can rent that some time when I have the house to myself and see what I think about it now.

Damn you, you had me going!

What? Escape From Butcher Bay was not a bad game by any measure. (Well, maybe the dialogue, but that was in keeping with the movies.) 89-90 on Metacritic, for whatever that’s worth.

Exception: Galaxy Quest.

The Mighty Trilogy of video game movies is, of course, Super Mario Bros., Street Fighter, and Double Dragon. Those three comprise the Criterion Collection Box Set.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I meant. It bucked the trend. I fuckin loved that game.

Well, that mined a lot of tropes with a nod and a wink. That wasn’t a movie though, was it?

The How Did This Get Made podcast has a really funny episode about Street Fighter.

I’ve spent all day fantasizing about it, too.

:frowning:

I’m going to bend the definition of a film a bit and say it’s Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom.

The omicrons are pronounced like the short “o” in English (“offer”).
If they were long “o” omegas (“open”), you would be correct.
The upsilon is pronounced like the “oo” in “book,” or French “eu” in “bleu.” (kind of like a schwa, although it’s an accented stressed syllable in “οὐρανός”).

FWIW, that’s what I was taught when I learned Koine Greek.

I’m just waiting to see how long it takes for the first person to make a joke about long O’s.

Arg! Lara! Lara Croft. Not “Laura”. I’m sorry to go character-name-nazi on you, but this has been bugging the stuffing out of me since the first one came out in the early 90’s…

It’s not like Lara is an uncommon name, why do so many people think she was called Laura D:

1 Like

Eh, not like Leo at all really. It’s one syllable. Say ‘you’. Then unround your lips for the ‘ou’, making a flatter vowel sound, maybe half-way to ‘uh…’ Then glide an ‘r’ onto the front of the ‘y’ without trying to turn the ‘y’ into a vowel.

1 Like

No offense taken. I’ve never actually played one, only seen the one movie and thought it wasn’t as bad as it could have been.