Stuck in space: 50 days and still no return date for NASA astronauts Wilmore and Williams

I might be mixing him up with Chris Hadfield on the steak thing.

I’ll definitely check out the audiobook now. Thanks!

Way way way off-topic: Hadfield was the one who had this immortal tweet exchange with William Shatner

8 Likes

Oh, that’s good! So the fuel should be good for a while. I must have mixed up something there in my mind and didn’t check.
And now I’m worried about the plumbing.

5 Likes

I bet the novelty of the vacuum toilet wore off quite soon.

2 Likes

Looks like quite the procedure:

https://boingboing.net/2021/08/17/instructions-for-the-zero-gravity-toilet-in-2001.html/amp

4 Likes

Apart from Boeing’s financial woes:

NASA and Boeing have yet to set a date for the spacecraft’s return. In an update issued on August 1, NASA noted that the planning for the spacecraft’s return was “expected to continue into next week.” This includes finalizing undocking procedures and “operational mitigations that could be used in flight, if needed.”

In its own update, Boeing reported that return-to-Earth preparations were under way, with teams working through simulations and the ISS crew inspecting the exterior of Starliner using the outpost’s Canadarm.

Meanwhile, a NASA spokesperson told Ars the US agency is “evaluating all options.” It’s said those possible options include using a SpaceX capsule to do what Starliner right now can’t – bring back its pair of pilots.

5 Likes

Insiders have told Ars Technica that there’s less than a 50% chance that the astronauts will be riding Starliner home.

And if they don’t ride it back that may well be the end of the program, with Boeing taking the financial hit rather than spend more money and incur more risk to finish the thing.

6 Likes

“I liked it at first. Now it just sucks.”

6 Likes

The Boeing Starliner – sans astronauts, of course – has returned (reportedly safely) back to Earth. (I really, really wonder what Musk and his fan-bois hoped for re the return.)

5 Likes

As is often the case, XKCD has one of the better takes:

8 Likes

Today on a dark gritty reboot of MST3K.

1 Like