Student ejected from ceremony for graduating while black

Nah, I’ve got a better idea. As a white man, you enlighten us and explain why the police removing Mr. Holmes from his graduation ceremony is not racist.

6 Likes

For one thing because HE doesn’t call it that. For another it looks to be a policy they enforce not just against African Americans, but against everyone.

So after having browbat a Laoatian into putting away her visible jewelry, and making someone else put their crucifix away, which would be more racist, letting Nyree Holmes slide because he’s black and somehow that’s a special case or not letting Nyree Holmes slide because he’s a student subject to the same rules as all the other students, be those rules stupid or not?

1 Like

For one thing because HE doesn’t call it that.

O_o

As if you’d take his word for it if he did.

2 Likes

Yep. Sounds totally fair. Just shut up and conform and everything will be okay right? If you do speak up, we’re calling the F’n police. Nope. No prejudice involved here at all.

6 Likes

Tinker’s application to graduation ceremonies is not at all certain: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/631062/Graduates-plan-to-wear-sashes-dashed-by-judge.html?pg=all

and
http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/hazelwood-used-to-justify-cap-and-gown-requirement

2 Likes

Welcome to boing boing, a place I used to really respect and now just casually browse. The rampant hyperbole and click bait have frustrated me greatly and I’ve never seen an administrator respond to the charges. Corey is perhaps the worst.

1 Like

Would you say that you are disappointed in Boing Boing?

11 Likes

Another misleading headline for a non-story.

1 Like

much the same way that the phrase “SJW” has been retired by all reasonable human beings.

4 Likes

While we’re assigning other folks motives: You clearly don’t care what he says. For you the young man is just a vehicle for your fragile feelings of superiority.

I figure if he felt that he was being treated unfairly because of his race in addition to having a dumb rule applied to him to thwart his cultural display, he’d say so.

If he did say so, yeah, I’d question whether that was his frustration talking or the truth, sure. Why wouldn’t I? I wouldn’t expect him to take anything I said when I was pissed off (and he was) as given.

1 Like

He did say so. Several times.

3 Likes

Show us how a dumb, very general rule that applies to everyone is prejudicial.

2 Likes

Where? “that he was being treated unfairly because of his race”

Jesus tap dancing Christ, yet another symbol of war and oppression.

One of these things is not like the other!

5 Likes

Who’s enforcing it?

3 Likes

No tap-dancing Christs here! I’ll have you removed!

2 Likes

So much epistemic commitment in this thread.

1 Like

Here’s another WTF please pull your head out of your ass school administers…
Kid missed most of his junior year because of cancer, but caught up with everything except is 2.5 credits short… All he wants is to sit with his classmates (not go on stage or collect diploma), but admin says no.

http://www.abc10.com/mb/news/valley-hs-senior-with-leukemia-denied-cap-gown-wants-policy-change/219556573

1 Like

I do appreciate that you approach this debate with intellectual honesty. And humor.

(Gene Kelly is the worse dancer)

3 Likes

From the original article:

The graduate says his parents were shocked the school had police remove him from the ceremony

Do you think LEOs should have been called to drag him out of there? And do you agree that it’s more likely that happened because he’s black?

6 Likes