Study confirms a physical correlate to PTSD: "brown dust" in the brain

One may even argue for neutral monism!

It would be a substantial argument :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

It’s quite possible to believe in souls while understanding that all mental processes have physical correlates, as plenty of scientists and doctors already do.

2 Likes

In his novel Cryptonomicon, Neal Stephenson describes the effect of bombs on Japanese soldiers in New Guinea during the latter stages of World War Two:

… [T]hey have been getting bombed a lot. Even if the shrapnel misses you, the bomb’s shock wave is like a stone wall moving at seven hundred miles an hour. Unlike a stone wall, it passes through your body, like a burst of light through a glass figurine. On its way through your flesh, it rearranges every part of you down to the mitochondrial level, disrupting every process in every cell, including whatever enables your brain to keep track of time and experience the world. A few of these detonations are enough to break the thread of consciousness into a snarl of tangled and chopped filaments. These men are not as human as they were when they left home; they cannot be expected to think clearly or to do things for good reasons.

And this passage, about protagonist Goto Dengo:

The sun goes down and he stands in a foxhole full of sewage until it comes up again. When bombs go off nearby, the concussion puts him into a state of shock so profound as to separate mind from body entirely; for several hours afterwards, his body goes around doing things without his telling it to. Stripped of its connections to the physical world, his mind runs in circles like an engine that has sheared its driveshaft and is screaming along at full throttle, doing no useful work while burning itself up. He usually does not emerge from this state until someone speaks to him. Then more bombs fall.

http://sphere.chronosempire.org.uk/~HEx/tmp/Cryptonomicon.txt

6 Likes

Actually, the part where the poops are isn’t inside you. It’s through you, like a tunnel.

6 Likes

Man, that’s deep.

4 Likes

I have PTSD. I have never been near explosions of that kind… of other kinds yes. I have not been through war, but I have been through battle after battle.

4 Likes

That’s great! Just dust of these soldiers noggin’ and they’re good as new. Right?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.