Study: Dyson hand-dryers aerosolize germs on unwashed gloves, spreading them farther than other methods

Tissue-flesh or Tissue-paper?

nvm I get from the other reply that it’s tissue-paper.

I dislike Dyson products in general, their expensive vacuums are masterworks of can’t-be-repaired and don’t work all that much better than the red upright I got from dirt devil, which despite being plastic is feature-free enough that I can likely repair a lot of things that might go bad with it over time. Although I’ve had it for 4 years or so and it works as well as it did out of the box so far.

That said, sure seems like a dumb test that if independently funded was still performed by an ally of the industry subset the test favoured.

2 Likes

True, but transmission of poo germs can spread disease. So better not to do that, right?

1 Like

Yes!

My autistic son considers public bathrooms a bunch of menacing minefields for this reason, fears and loathes the thought of having to use one. This is hard on him, and me too. I have to ask people not to use these devices while we are in there.

3 Likes

The trouble is, all research is funded by somebody, and people with money usually fund research that is connected to their interests, rather than something chosen at random. And so, every paper ever written falls under the cloud of “special interests.”

In fact, we see exactly that happening with anti-vaxxers. All that “pro-vaccine” science is funded by Big Pharma, so of course they would find that magic moon crystals don’t work. Personally, I think corrupt science is very rare, and it’s weeded out by peer review, not by “following the money.”

There’s a romance about the Pure Scientist, who isn’t funded by anybody, boldly going, and I suppose he is independently wealthy. The majority of scientists do, however, need funding - or else there is no more science.

Anything beats those cloth roll hand driers. Remember those things? You’d tug down a fresh section and the dirty part would get rolled back into the rear of the dispenser. When I was a little kid in the 1970s my brother and I were at a holiday function at the Knights of Columbus hall in Cleveland and after washing my hands I looked at the cloth roller and saw that somebody had managed to wipe their ass with it. I dried my hands on my pants and got out of there.

3 Likes

I couldn’t verify this claim, as the paper is paywalled.

I couldn’t verify this claim, as the paper is wallpapered.

FIFY

Much research is funded by the federal government (NIH, NSF, etc). These are almost exclusively the types of studies I personally work on. While you are expected to provide annual progress reports on your research, this is a one-way communication that is just about reporting current results to the funding agency. I have never experienced nor heard of any interference by the funding agency in terms of publishing results. This is similarly true in my experience for private funding from non-profits. Of course, the funding agencies will exert indirect pressure at the time of funding by deciding what research does and does not receive funding, but this is entirely prior to the onset of a study, so it is independent of the study’s findings. So while it’s true there is no unfunded research, my opinion is that governmentally funded research is the next best thing.

I don’t have any direct experience working on private for-profit funded research, but have heard accounts from researchers who do that suggest there is sometimes undue pressure in that realm. And for research directly conducted by these companies they are presumably not going to release any internal research that would hurt them.

And in terms of vaccine research, there is plenty of it that is governmentally funded, so is free from the influence of pharmaceutical companies.

2 Likes

Almost. Here’s Myth Results summary of the tests:

[quote=“Myth Results”]Hot-air hand dryers are less sanitary than paper towels in public restrooms.

CONFIRMED
In a preliminary test, Adam and Jamie found that washing their hands properly with soap did not leave behind enough bacteria for them to count, so in the remaining tests, participants only used water to wash their hands.

Sixteen volunteers were enlisted to have their hands sprayed with a harmless strain of E. coli bacteria. The volunteers’ hands were then swabbed for a sample, then washed using water but no soap, then swabbed again, then dried using paper towels, then swabbed a third time. Next, the entire process was repeated with the same volunteers, but using hand dryers instead of paper towels. On average, the paper towels removed 71% of the bacteria on the volunteers’ hands, while the hand dryers only removed 23%, confirming that the myth is true for individuals.

Adam and Jamie also wanted to find out how clean the drying area of the restroom stayed with each drying method. Before the previous experiment began, the mock restrooms were thoroughly cleaned. After the experiment, swabs from the paper towel area yielded 3 bacteria colonies while swabs from the hand dryer area yielded 41 colonies, confirming that the myth is also true in regards to the cleanliness of the restroom.[/quote]

That makes sense, I hadn’t thought of that.

I figure that you’re more at risk from anything touched by those who didn’t wash their hands than by aerosols dispersed by those who DID wash their hands…

1 Like

Excel Dryer, pride of my hometown! People I went to high school with like to post Facebook pics whenever they run into one far from MA.

1 Like

Lots of non-autistic kids don’t like the sound of them. I didn’t like it as a kid.

1 Like

I wouldn’t poo-poo that idea, no.

1 Like

Except the Dyson dryers I’ve experienced:
a) often have a small puddle of run off in the bottom of them, which I have to imagine also gets somewhat aerosolized. Particularly as…
b) for people with larger hands (like me) its impossible to get the entirety of your had dry without dipping your fingertips into said soup.

2 Likes

Me neither, but there’s a hefty difference the range of response between children not on the spectrum and those that are, particularly toward the moderate to severe range. Probably also disproportionately disturbs children with SPD and other conditions too,

1 Like

Ridiculous study but those Dyson dryers are not without problems, especially the runoff that ends up on the floor and the terrible styling.

But I came here to ask: what’s with the dither on the photo??

Also: @boingboing why does your script use its own (COMPLETELY USELESS) “find” popup when I cmd-F? It’s a big FU to users.

2 Likes

Awwww. I have to go watch that now.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s annoying. And it doesn’t seem to find anything. I assume the idea is a function to find things that aren’t currently on display, since Disourse does not display the full thread.

1 Like

Was it not awesome? Fond memories on Winter days with my son, binge watching it over and over. :slight_smile:

1 Like

1 Like