Study: Dyson hand-dryers aerosolize germs on unwashed gloves, spreading them farther than other methods

Actually, the older ones at least are quite easy to repair, and there are many sources of parts, both aftermarket and from the company. Disassembly and reassembly can be complicated, but everything is held together by screws and latches, and youtube is full of helpful videos. (I just did a major repair of our DC-07 with $17 in parts and 30 minutes of my time.)

3 Likes

There’s a lot of people who just run their hands under the faucet briefly then dry them.

Their hands are no cleaner than they were after flushing, and they are then putting their wet hands in a 100MPH stream of air.

What do you think spreads germs?

So lemme get this straight
 the Dyson’s get the germs as far away as can be imaginable from the freshly washed hands. And this is a problem?

For other people who like breathing air? Possibly.

3 Likes

Same here. $20 in parts fixed our Dyson.

1 Like

The original “dipping” Airblade was like playing Operation, but instead of setting off a buzzer and a red nose light, you get pinkeye or Hep A. They addressed that design flaw with the Airblade V, which is somewhat more traditional:

Good thing they did a product recall of their fatally flawed design
 Right?

1 Like

I like the original ones, and use them in public washrooms even if there is a choice. However, (a) my hands are gyro-equipped, I’ve never touched the sides; (b) I evidently have teeny-tiny Trump hands, since I’ve never dipped into liquid at the bottom; © I can never get motion-activated towel dispensers to dispense, and prefer not to touch the lever on the others; and (d) as long as I’m using the airblade with my nice washed hands, the guy who rinses his hands without washing either has to use the towel, or has to wait for me and isn’t spraying pathogens around until I’m out the door.

1 Like

Does anyone remember these enormous old hand dryers that looked like they’d been salvaged from the Bismarck? Alexander’s department store in Manhattan had them into the 70s (and pay stall doors!); the P&G Cafe (actually a bar) on 73rd & Amsterdam had one until landlord greed put them out of business a few years ago.

They had some kind of visible light photo sensor so you didn’t have to push a button, and of course they roared as if demons were trying to escape.

I can’t for the life of me find a photo, but I knocked out an approximation:

2 Likes

Because Georgia Pacific paid you to.

Liked for the Find remark. Good to know it’s not just my own inner cynic mouthing off at me.

It’s a workaround to try and fix the way Disqus works. It doesn’t load the whole thread at once because there could be up to 20,000 replies in a thread, that’s why ctrl+f maps to Disqus’s internal find function. It doesn’t want the possibility of downloading 20k*[the maximum size of a post].

1 Like

I think we (well I do) understand this. It’s great that there’s a search function that considers the whole thread. The problem is that it “steals” a system-level shortcut like Cmd-F. You’d expect such a high-level shortcut to not get appropriated by a script on a webpage, and it’s frustrating when it happens. It’s a muscle-memory thing.

3 Likes

I can understand why they took over the shortcut – so that the subset of people who use find-in-page will discover and use this find-in-whole-thread function. Otherwise it would never get used.

In Chrome (on Windows, at least) you can still hit F3 (find next) to bring up the regular find-in-page box.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.