Germophobe's dream: keychain fob opens door handles, flicks light switches

[Read the post]

3 Likes

You touch all the “gross” things with it but then you put it in your pocket. Seems like a design flaw.

23 Likes

I had a Brother that was a germophobe, imagine the teasing we gave him as children. I hope to Dog that they have soap and paper towels in heaven, he can’t live without them.

6 Likes

I’m not much of a germophobe, except when it comes to bathroom door handles. I solve the handle situation by just carrying napkins or paper towels on me so i can use them as i need to. If i’m wearing a jacket or sweater i’ll also resort to using the sleeve to work the door handle if i really need to.

Having to get some keys out just to open a door seems like a real pain in the ass however.

3 Likes

how do you know which side the germs are on?

7 Likes

Ok, but then you’ll need a keyfob holder for your keyfob.

5 Likes

Seems kind of bulky. It’s easier to just lick off the door handles first.

10 Likes

…and then put those filthy keys back in your pocket so you can fumble them out later with your bare hands. “Germophobe’s dream” this is not.

3 Likes

For people who aren’t aware of gloves.

1 Like

Yo Dawg!

2 Likes

The side that tastes salty?

3 Likes

The great thing about the rise of accessible lever-style door handles is that you can open them with your feet.

2 Likes

I’m not taking my shoes off to open a door!

/

3 Likes

Half measure.

4 Likes

I’m personally of the opinion that after you exit the stall/urinal in a public washroom, you should not have to touch any fixtures from that point to the washroom exit: faucets, soap dispensers, hand dryers/towel dispensers should all be automated, and there shouldn’t be a door, but rather a zig-zag corridor to block the line of site between the outside and inside.

It takes up more room, but I think it’s more sanitary.

Of course, having that in a private residence is unrealistic, so at that point, germaphobes have to figure things out for themselves.

2 Likes

indeedly doodly!

The copy on the site claims that silicone “does not support microbiological growth.” I don’t know the science of this, but psychologically speaking, for a true germaphobe, it seems like the anxiety around the feeling of contamination is larger than just bacterial load. A friend who has a fairly strong contamination anxiety was talking about hand sanitizer, and saying, “this kills the germs, but doesn’t make my hands clean, the germs are all still…on there, and the rest of it, the grime and everything else”

Precisely!

I wonder if germaphobia is more prevalent in the U.S. than elsewhere. My sense is that US-Americans are a lot more worried about “germs” than people in most other countries. And that it’s actually an unhealthy obsession (as in, the idea that kids who don’t get exposed to many contaminants end up with weaker immune systems).

2 Likes

Seems like they’re missing a trick by not having it made out of/covered with some sort of anti-microbial. Sure, things won’t grow on it, but germaphobes know they’re still there, and in the short term, if you’re using it for something like toilets, with high bacterial loads, and then lights/doorknobs, you’re spreading around potential pathogens…

1 Like