Study finds vegan diets less polluting, more climate-friendly

I have become an involuntary vegan, but I can still eat fish and chicken.

1 Like

/S!!!

1 Like

Alpha gal? That sucks.

1 Like

Oh, I rather suspect we’re looking at the collapse of agriculture long before that… at which point this will be a bit irrelevant, as we won’t be able to afford to give human-edible foods like corn to cattle.

1 Like

That’s interesting. I wonder how much of that effect comes from vegans avoiding alcohol. Some types of alcohol are fairly water intensive.

1 Like

What are you on about? What does alcohol have to do with veganism?

7 Likes

4 Likes

That’s one example out of probably tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of options.

1 Like

It’s actually pretty complicated when you get into isinglass.

1 Like

And…

3 Likes

Yup, for wine. There are still many, many vegan options, be it wine or other forms. Few of my fellow vegans are teetotalers (though I am).

4 Likes

I was really weirded out by how much water is required to make seitan.

1 Like

truly. search for vegan bars for any major city in america and you’re sure to find at least a few.

@socialclimber i’m sure the reason is: livestock. cows need water, and the crops that feed them need water. honestly i’m surprised there’s only a 54% reduction.

not all that corn is human edible

eta:

ironically, there is no water in hell. :thinking:

obligatory satan / seitan jokes are obligatory

6 Likes

Yeah, whatever. I do not, have not, and will never eat any vegans.

5 Likes

I have. When I was a meat eater, many of the animals I ate were vegan.

2 Likes

Still on the lofty battlement, a voice
Bespoke me thus: “Look how thou walkest. Take
Good heed, thy soles do tread not on the heads
Of thy poor brethren.” Thereupon I turn’d,
And saw before and underneath my feet
A lake, whose frozen surface liker seem’d
To glass than water. Not so thick a veil
In winter e’er hath Austrian Danube spread
O’er his still course, nor Tanais far remote
Under the chilling sky. Roll’d o’er that mass
Had Tabernich or Pietrapana fall’n,
Not e’en its rim had creak’d. As peeps the frog
Croaking above the wave, what time in dreams
The village gleaner oft pursues her toil,
So, to where modest shame appears, thus low
Blue pinch’d and shrin’d in ice the spirits stood,
Moving their teeth in shrill note like the stork.
His face each downward held; their mouth the cold,
Their eyes express’d the dolour of their heart.

6 Likes

et tu, dante?

not nearly as many that should be :confused:

https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/animal-health-literacy/all-about-bse-mad-cow-disease

3 Likes

“Finally something that might convince conservatives to become vegans!”

Because conservatives are renowned for listening to scientific expertise, for changing their ways, and for not actively and intentionally pursuing cruel and planet-destroying courses of action :roll_eyes:.

1 Like

We won’t have the luxury of growing non-human edible foodstuffs at that point. (Although in that case, people ate it, so I guess it turned out to be edible! For a certain value of “edible,” anyways…)

1 Like

This seems like a risky thing to emphasize in talking about environmental progress. I hope I’m not just driving concern trollies* here, and I know we can tackle multiple things at one, but I think emphasis on diet could actually do harm to the overall cause.

People have a powerful emotional and cultural connection to their diet. Just ask any person what’s special about their cultural heritage, food will be in the top 3. We’re not just talking about meat and cheese here, but yogurt (a huge component in middle eastern and South Asian cuisine) and butter (feel free to take on the massively influential French culinary school) among others.

This connection is certainly more powerful and personal than what powers their car and electronics, or what a factory’s externalities are. If food has to be on the list of solution, let it be last on the list so that people see the good faith effort of tackling the more obvious, and less personal ones first.

*edited for grammar :wink:

1 Like