Study suggests Type 2 diabetes "can be cured" by weight loss

The patents are on some low-release metformine pills. Metformine itself is a low cost drug easy to manufacture. Actually one could use the Galag Officinalis extract to control the type II diabetes, with a similar effect of metformine. Insulin doesn’t cost a lot but requires a daily shot that’s unpleasant to do so there’s research on microinfusors.

Anyway a strict diet and exercise are always suggested for people with type II diabetes, simply because they lower heart failure risks, that are raised by diabetes.

2 Likes

Unless you have Type I or a weight independent subtype of Type II. Either way, there is hardly any evidence that Pharma companies are influencing American diet and exercise habits to extract greater profits. To an extent, it’s a bit like saying Big Grocery is conspiring to make people need food. I mean, they do make a ton of money selling food to people who seem to think they need it to survive. That’s the level of evidence we’re looking at. What’s next? Are we going to start talking about cancer cures “they” don’t want you to know about?

2 Likes

I assume that you are being sarcastic there. The USA is daily bombarded with Big Pharma solutions to every kind of malady, disease or ailment that is imaginable, really you have to be living in cave to not know that.

Nobody dare answer “I don’t know” lest ye be yanked up into yon sky by some invisible force.

1 Like

Nah. Ezra Pounds.

1 Like

My mother’s mother was diagnosed as diabetic late in her life; I honestly couldn’t tell you whether they said it was Type 1 or Type 2 but she was UNDERweight. She was put on insulin (Humalog) but died of a possibly unrelated stroke after a few years at a fairly ripe old age.

My mother is overweight and was diagnosed with type II; she’s been taking oral diabetes meds for years and went off sugar, but isn’t eating a strict diet, and has relatively successful control.

I was diagnosed with type II about 20 years ago. I had already taken steps to reduce my intake of obvious sugars, because I suspected as such without going to the doctor as soon as I should have. I was put on Metformin and Amaryl. This worked for a couple of years and then my beta cells basically burned out (probably because of the Amaryl, which causes them to crank out more insulin to try to overcome resistance) and my A1C numbers started climbing.

Most likely I’m in a state of “double diabetes” – insulin resistance as well as failure to produce sufficient insulin naturally.

I was switched to Byetta for a while (a non-insulin injectible), which was nauseating at first but limited both my appetite and my blood sugar for a while, until it didn’t. Then I was put on Lantus, which is a slow-acting insulin injected twice per day. That helped a little but not enough, so I was also put on Novolog, a fast-acting insulin injected before meals. When I changed jobs, my insurance required me to switch from Lantus to Levemir. This is where I’ve been for a while.

I’ve gone through a few phases of physical activity. Sometimes it was walking with ankle/wrist weights or riding an exercise bike for 1-2 hours every day. Sometimes it was being in a taiko performing group with 9 hours of rehearsal a week plus another 1-2 hours personal practice plus relatively frequent walks. Anyway, at one point I was down 40 pounds from what I weighed when I was originally diagnosed. (Taking insulin tends to lead to weight gain, so this was something of an accomplishment.)

My best results come with moderate physical activity, making sure I have NO carbs at breakfast and few to none at lunch, along with the 5 injections and 2 pills and 4 blood sugar tests every day. But my best results, even at maximum physical activity and my lowest weight, have never been “controlled”; I remain extremely sensitive to carbs, and continue to have a higher fasting blood glucose reading than after any of my meals with insulin.

I do not believe that if I were to lose 40 pounds from where I am currently, bringing me well out of “obese” range, that I would be “cured” of diabetes. In fact, I suspect if I lost 100 pounds at this point I might still be dependent on insulin, just perhaps a lower dose.

Both the insulin analogs I’m on are expensive – without insurance they are in the $500 a box range, with one of them being an 11 day supply and the other 23 days.

My doctor has been trying to prescribe me an SGLT2 inhbitor – Invokana, Farxiga or Jardiance – but a combination of insurance quibbles, holidays and vacations has held the process up for a couple of weeks now. While the FDA has issued warnings about a risk of ketoacidosis with these drugs, that seems to be relatively rare, and some weight loss as well as significant reduction in A1C is common.

Type I diabetes is an autoimmune disorder; Type II diabetes is literally every other case of hyperglycemia. Often, a person is diagnosed as Type II based solely on their age when their blood glucose is found to be high.

1 Like

Weight or cost?

I think not!
ceases to exist

1 Like

My ex-father-in-law - who isn’t a big guy to begin with, keep his in check with diet and exercise.

Actually, for Austria, starting two big wars made us come to the conclusion that soldiers aren’t heroes. We refer to the ideology that a citizen should “support the troops” and that every soldier or veteran deserves to be honored or even called a hero as “militarism”, and reject it. Actually, we’re brought up to be afraid of it.

I perceived it as the ominous noise of war drums or of marching jackbooted soldiers in the background. I know that America is not going to go all Austrian Art School Reject on the rest of the world any time soon, but this is how my upbringing makes me feel about it.

Living outside the US might be enough. I happen to have an above-average grasp of American culture, but I still have to be careful as it’s easy to get a wrong, stereotyped, exaggerated impression looking in from the outside. I don’t trust my media-derived impression of what American high schools are like, because I know for a fact that I have personally met sane, literate American adults. So yes, the fact that “Americans stuff too many chemicals into their obese bodies” is public knowledge around here, but so is “Americans have no culture at all”, and “If you go to Japan, you will be irradiated”.

All the cave dwellers living near me who haven’t been to the US, probably have no way at all to estimate the magnitude of the Big Pharma Bombardment. Neither will those poor uneducated people who speak English only well enough to be a tourist, but not well enough to follow anything that’s said in a TV ad.

I myself made the mistake of assuming that there were not that many profitable Big Pharma solutions for Type 2 diabetes. It didn’t strike me as the kind of illness where I’d self-medicate. I’d ask my doctor. Who’d tell me to exercise.

1 Like

You forgot plaque psoriasis, arthritis and blood thinners.

[edit] I’m not so sure anyone is suggesting that Big Pharma is bribing doctors to prescribe drugs instead of telling patients to try diet and exercise. What is being suggested is that Big Pharma is spending a ridiculous amount of money on direct-to-consumer advertising for quick fixes to a populous with poor impulse control and 50-70 hour work weeks.

There’s nothing paranoid about following the money in a capitalist country if a profit motive has been identified. Rather demystifies how the US can have the highest per capita expenditures on health care and have some of the worst outcomes in the Western world.

4 Likes

Scary, very scary indeed.

The US hasn’t had a war on its own soil in 150 years.

No generational memory of huddling in bomb shelters. No romantic/tragic traditions of men going up into the hills to shoot at the fascists. And certainly no memory of being on the wrong side of a war (honestly, few Americans give much thought any more about whether they were on the wrong side of Vietnam).

I think this is a big reason that the average American can either glorify our “heroes,” or simply ignore them.

2 Likes

Fourteen pounds is quite expensive for seven kilograms of rock.
Oh, libra pondo-force-pounds. What is the exchange rate with metric Euros?
Serious: The most commonly used pound today is the international avoirdupois pound which is legally defined as exactly 0.45359237 kilograms.

You don’t count Pearl Harbour?

You’re right, but it was a single battle on a far away island — at least, if you’re not on that island… I still think the lack of “foreign boots on the ground” or regular bombing campaigns in generational memory makes a difference to the US psyche.

1 Like

I think the “>70 years ago” thing is probably a bigger factor in how we (including Canada) see soldiers, much more than “all the way over in Hawaii” thing. Besides, if I recall, there were a couple of attacks on the mainland.

I guess. I grew up in Italy and feel like there was still a much stronger “cultural memory” of WWII, from all the songs that are still sung, to the mass graves, to the buildings that were rebuilt in today’s lifetimes because of bombings, etc. And it sounds like @zathras has similar feelings of being culturally afraid of militarism.

But I’m generalizing, of course, and the differences might be much more minor, perhaps.

2 Likes

He even has an above average grasp of American English as compared to Americans. That is really scary.
Also, the average American would hate to go to Austria, with all the saltwater crocodiles and venomous vermin.
(I hope I was joking.)

The average “old European’s” view of the U.S. of A. has taken a serious downturn since the s election of the 43rd President.
Sad.

1 Like

Hell I am a yank and my view of the USA took a serious downturn then. The current clown car of republican frontrunners isn’t helping either.

4 Likes