Study: women trained to resist assault less likely to be victimized

whilst I don’t believe in the death penalty for any reason, if you
absolutely have to have one, rape should invoke such a punishment.

This gets tricky.

If the punishment for rape is equal to or greater than the punishment for murder, you give rapists a perverse incentive to murder their victims, as doing so decreases their chance of getting caught, and can’t make their sentence any harsher.

5 Likes

And that’s why I think the laws should be set by game theory mathematicians based on an auditable set of requirements, instead of a bunch of politicos who just appeal to the electorate emotions.

1 Like

How about the idea that teaching women how to stand up for themselves also has an effect on their overall character, making them more self aware and confident, and less likely to be the target of those looking out for targets to assault (physically or sexually)

5 Likes

Oh, yeah, like I said retributive murder isn’t a good idea under any circumstances but if you’re going to go down that road…

1 Like

The requirement for rehabilitation, odds of re-offending and the ability to compensate in the event of a miscarriage of justice need input into the algorithm as well. (The latter is my main reason for being anti death penalty).

It’s actually do-able if there was a political will. You’d need a long term study designed for a Bayesian statistical analysis, with the outcomes (reoffending) adjusting the input (sentence length) on the fly until the optimal lengths are found. At the same time have comparison arms between prison systems designed for retribution (usual USA style) versus rehabilitation (more Scandinavian style). You could then do a cost:benefit analysis between those styles of justice and sentence lengths and pick the one the actually works.

It’s not going to happen, is it. :frowning:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.