How to avoid being raped (video)

[Permalink]

The world needs a lot more ā€˜how not to be a rapistā€™ videos.

12 Likes

I once worked on a series of PSAs for a coalition of organizations working to fight sexual abuse. By far, the biggest challenge was coming up with an actual call to action. ā€œHey everybody, donā€™t rape!ā€ didnā€™t seem especially likely to work.

1 Like

The victim(s) are ā€œasking for itā€ - by simply existing. They should know better than to walk down a street or sleep in their own bed, for example ! Or be between the ages of 0 - 110 years of age.

Then the victims are blamed for not having prevented it. Or not having fought back the right way.

Then the victims are labeled ā€œcrazyā€ for whatever they did to fight back, and ā€œcrazyā€ because they were traumatized, then disbelieved and scrutinized by the authorities and their peers when they report the rape. The victim will be quizzed about their sexual history - but the ā€œaccusedā€(rolls eyes) rapist wonā€™t be. No one ever asks the rapist why they chose to wear ā€œprovocativeā€ underwear the day they raped somebody.

Oddly - no one ever labels the rapist crazy. There are never any ā€œDid you know you might be a rapist ? Take this quiz to find outā€ stories in menā€™s magazines. Or stories about discovering a buddy is a raging misogynist, and how to effectively call him out about this.

Itā€™s like there is some sort ofā€¦double standard operating here ?

16 Likes

[quote=ā€œSatinSatan, post:4, topic:23458ā€]
Oddly - no one ever labels the rapist crazy. There are never any ā€œDid you know you might be a rapist ? Take this quiz to find outā€ stories in menā€™s magazines. Or stories about discovering a buddy is a raging misogynist, and how to effectively call him out about this.[/quote]

That would be kind of a strange article:

ā€œI discovered a couple of years ago that Iā€™m a rapist. I mean I have never raped anybody, but in my mind Iā€™m totally a rapist.ā€

And really, that sort of thing might get them labeled crazy and locked up. Itā€™s really no wonder why you donā€™t see them.

Thereā€™s one thing Iā€™d change about this video: Iā€™d like to see the sources for the specific pieces of ā€œadviceā€. Iā€™m going to assume, although Iā€™m not sure why, that ā€œdonā€™t give a guy blue ballsā€ didnā€™t come from a university or Cosmopolitan, but if it did attention needs to be drawn to the fact.

Needless to say Iā€™d prefer to change our culture in general, but thatā€™s a lot more difficult.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s this anti-rape underwear being offered for sale right now that bugs the heck out of me. It sounds like a great way to get the shit kicked out of a woman. Frustrated rapists (such as those unable to get an erection) have a tendency to take it out on the victim. And even if someone canā€™t get in your actual orifices, what do people think is going to happen when the rapist encounters this impenetrable barrier? ā€œWell, that stumps me. Have a nice night, miss!ā€
It strikes me as being security theater at best, and a way for parents to literally lock up their daughtersā€™ chastity at worst.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s because many perpetrators do not even recognize that what they are doing is sexual assault. For example - their victim avoided them all night at a party, physically turned their back to avoid speaking to them, screamed and hit them when they were touched, screamed specific things like ā€œNO !ā€ ,ā€œStop!ā€, ā€œDonā€™t touch me !ā€ fought back HARD - and the perpetrator has a completely different account of the events - and tells his pals ā€œShe totally wanted itā€ and was a ā€œtotal slutā€.

Most men get all indignant if you ask them point blank ā€œAre you a rapist ?ā€ - and deny this as an absurd statement. However - when a questionaire was given where sexual assault was never named, but there were a scale of behaviours describing incidents of sexual coercion, violations of consent, violations of boundaries and power, and questions about a sense of entitlement - then a completely different picture emerged.

9 Likes

And a totally stupid ā€œinnovationā€, too. Sexual assault can take many forms beside vaginal or anal penetration.

And for all you ā€œcitation neededā€ types here is a link that links to that study:

3 Likes

It can be done in fiction or comedy, but itā€™s still awkward as hell.

I saw a sitcom pilot a couple years ago where a bunch of married dudes are palling around, talking dude talk, complaining about their wives. One starts saying stuff about how heā€™s always physically forcing his wife to have sex, and the others actually call it out as rape. Itā€™s intended to play as comedy (think Sarah Silverman), but is actually thought-provoking in a weird way.

1 Like

I work on a college campus where, recently, Iā€™ve seen several posters that say ā€œSex without consent is sexual assault.ā€ These are advertising informational sessions about sexual assault and rape, in an attempt to deal with the problem.

Iā€™m glad thereā€™s an educational effort going on, but I canā€™t help feeling a little stunned that college students need to be told that sex without consent is sexual assault. Iā€™m also not sure why they donā€™t simply call it rape.

5 Likes

This is a good companion item - ā€œThere is no greater threat to women than menā€ - Louis CK https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4LkrQCyIz8

3 Likes
4 Likes

http://www.theviolencestopshere.ca/dbtg.php

Calling all sexual assault rape can be problematic, as it allows the possibility of denial of the harm caused, since it wasnā€™t PIV or PIA sex - as though this is the only "legitimate"rape people should be concerned about. Sexual assault survivors describe a very wide spectrum of assaults that were intensely violating and terrorizing. It also becomes very heteronormative.

While there are fewer incidences of sexual assault/violence that are not male perpetrator/female victim, there are other configurations of perpetrator/victim or types of sexual assault that do not involve penetration using a penis, which should be as seriously considered as ā€œrapeRAPEā€.

3 Likes

There have been a couple of ad campaigns in Scotland that I thought were pretty good.

One tackled the victim blaming with images of women doing perfectly reasonable things (like wearing a tight top) with the caption ā€œThis Is Not An Invitation To Rape Me.ā€
http://www.thisisnotaninvitationtorapeme.co.uk/

The other focused on the idea of consent, showing men (e.g. a rugby player) saying things like ā€œIā€™m the kind of guy who doesnā€™t have sex with a girl when sheā€™s too drunk. Do you?ā€
http://www.wecanstopit.co.uk/

[I missed the fact SatinSam had already posted a good Scottish ad.]

3 Likes

The legal term ā€“ what one would be arrested for ā€“ is sexual assault (or sexual abuse: no penetration anywhere), not rapeā€¦at least in the districts I know.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.