Studying wine that was aged for a year on the space station

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/22/studying-wine-that-was-aged-for-a-year-on-the-space-station.html

4 Likes

Uh… hmm am I forgetting how wine is made, but isn’t the fermenting and aging process one in vats/casks? Once it is bottle it is mostly stable? Most of the chemically stuff and stuff with microbes is before that.

Perhaps they should also be running the same research on Whisky.
The trip might accelerate the ageing process.

Whose?

3 Likes

This sounds like a rather dumb publicity stunt. I wonder how much they’re charging for their “private tasting”?

1 Like

Yes, I want space wine.

1 Like

Wine ages in the bottle, so in theory it could age differently in zero-G. (To say nothing of the relatively toasty environment of the ISS—not ideal.)

But this still sounds like a stunt.

1 Like

About the only thing that comes to mind is that anything supended wouldn’t precipitate, which in turn depends on how filtered the wine is…

4 Likes

Maybe it’ll be like that Linie akavit that has to cross the equator on a ship to complete the process?

(…or a giant publicity stunt…)

2 Likes

Relativistic effects? The space wine should be … younger?

2 Likes

I’ve heard rumors that the bottles are (the Wine Formerly Known As) Two Buck Chuck.

2 Likes

“Studying”

3 Likes

A crazy expensive one at that. Given bottle and water weight, and the cost per pound of putting things in space…

2 Likes

Why I don’t want to try space wine

1 Like

Indeed – Wines I’ve aged for a long time before drinking (with positive results) generally had a lot of settled sediment on the side of the bottle. No gravity, no settling. Hmm…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.