Stupid dress thing

All this talk about white and gold broke my brain.

Funnily enough I always saw it as light blue and brown, and can’t get the illusion to work at all.

1 Like

As a second story man in these wintry climes, you can pry my cold pry from my cold, dead hands.

Please. I picked it up when it was wet.

STUPID DRESS IS STUPID

1 Like

Odd, I saw white/gold on your first pic then fiddled with the monitor settings and now all is see is blue/black. Stupid brain.

Well, now that’s stuck in my brain.

1 Like

Yeah. The problem here is that the colors are so washed out that minor differences in display calibration can significantly shift what colors end up as the peak signals in the photo. Not every color component ends up being modified on the monitor at the same rate when you start boosting saturation or contrast.

Also, most monitors are either slightly more responsive to blue (“super sharp image” advertizing) or yellow/green (“super bright” advertizing, since green LEDs have the highest output).

1 Like

Is this really a color thing? I haven’t clicked the original link but from all the reaction posts I’ve been assuming that they are running some A/B testing platform on what image is displayed as a gag.

I really don’t think it has that much (or even anything at all) to do with monitor calibration, since people have seen it both ways without changing anything.

Myself, I always saw it as blue and washed out black (visually brown, but I can tell that’s due to the bad lighting, it is clearly black to me). I kind of wish I could see it as white and gold because it sounds like an amazing illusion.

If you focus at the top part it clearly appears white and gold.
If you look at the bottom part (scrolling down hiding the top part works better) and focus there you see black and blue.

The secret is in the way the brain selects the color and tries to make sense of it in context of the lighting.

The image coloring is at the border of the brains sensibilities, thus tricking the brain into one part or the other.

If you do a clean of the blue from the image it’s clearly white (and vice versa).

The same can be found in the black and white check-board square illusion. Perception is always about context and relativity…

Fraid not. Any Good?

Nope, very washed out grayish blue. And light brown.

Nope. Slightly less washed out blue gray. And slightly darker brown.

Colorpicker doesn’t lie and proves me right. No matter how I look at this image, it’s always very light blue and brown. Because that’s what the data in the photo is. You may see white and gold, or blue and black. But neither of those are actually what the photo displays, and neither is “clearly” the combo I see when I look at it with my eyes and brain.

Yes. There is a relevant bit, but: spoiler.

This topic was automatically closed after 721 days. New replies are no longer allowed.