Suicide Girls: It would be "fucking awesome" if appropriation artist Richard Prince sues us

This is what I hoped someone would do.

Quite a few people challenge and provoke. And artists do so with artistry.

1 Like

Iā€™d say that this is not the case. It doesnā€™t cost much of anything to bring suit against someone if one acts as ones own attorney. Just do your homework first. If somebody is making 90k from your hard-fought leisure time, Iā€™d say that you couldnā€™t afford not to.

Iā€™m pretty sure the ENTIRE recent history of American litigation re: wealthy corporations and individuals facing off against the not as wealthy disproves your claim. Court fees and inevitable counter suits add up quick, and few people have the time to make a full time job out of representing themselves. Which is almost universally considered a bad idea (though more-so in criminal court.

What exactly am I claiming? Call some courthouses and ask them the costs yourself, you donā€™t need to take my word for it.

Most basic motion and complaint fees tend to not be too costly, and can sometimes be waived if you cannot afford them. Paying for witnesses and experts appearances can certainly be costly - but these might not be helpful for an art appropriation case. The time comes down to subjective worth. Of both the matter at hand, and whatever precedent could be set by letting it go.

It has worked out well for me so far. Too many lawyers Iā€™ve met havenā€™t seemed to know very much, although there are some sharp ones. Iā€™d rather represent myself than defer to a mediocre attorney. And if I had to choose between representing myself, and being ā€œrepresentedā€ by Richard Prince, I would not hesitate.

That is the best case scenario. Worst case she is STEALING CAT WATER.

2 Likes

Throw in each modelā€™s signature on the print; then youā€™ll be getting not only the same thing, but a little more than Prince could provide.

But not all who provoke are great artists.

2 Likes

I read it. She answered. I accept that answer.

They should take the next step and just reprint Princeā€™s entire catalog, with a little ā€œSGā€ logo in the corner. (Cuz that makes it art of course)

Over 9000! [/baa-dum-tish]

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.