Suicide Girls: It would be "fucking awesome" if appropriation artist Richard Prince sues us

[Read the post]

3 Likes

There was an interesting AMA on Reddit just the other day about this. https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/37hzrn/i_am_missy_suicide_founder_of_suicidegirls_artist/

3 Likes

Is Appropriation art the first time its done. After that is copyright? How does that work?

This totally made me not like some modern ā€œFine Artā€, when I first saw John Baldessari, I knew original art was hard but really!

I had a friend who used to model, and was approached multiple times by SG reps due to her modeling work with a local guy who photographed gothy women (ā€œVisually Odd Photographyā€).

The stories I heard about various agencies and photogs were pretty nuts. What a crazy industry.

SG in particular apparently was structured a bit like a pyramid scheme, where to become a SG, you had to refer 5 friends who did a photo shoot with them first. I donā€™t recall whether you had to pay out of pocket for those shoots.

That aside, I have a good deal of respect for the variety that SG brings to modeling.

2 Likes

It would be great if this entire thing turned out to be just a scheme to get people to pay $90 for printouts of SG Instagram shots.

9 Likes

Hilarious. Rock on, Missy.

1 Like

That would be fucking awesomeā€¦

ā€¦if they got a speedy trial by jury. But he wouild porobably get a bastard lawyer who could keep Suicide Girls running in circles until legal fees devour the website. This is American justice.

3 Likes

Am I the only one who see that isnā€™t even a cat!?!!?

15 Likes

I have no idea what youā€™re talking about.

1 Like

Wait, is the cat lady exploited or empowered? Is she 1000 times more so by Richard Prince, or 1/1000th?

1 Like

Cā€™est ci pas un chat.

7 Likes

Interesting take on the whole kerfuffle from an acquaintance of mine, who is very much not a fan of Prince:

I still donā€™t see how this asshat isnā€™t being sued into oblivion by the copyright owners. What heā€™s doing is almost nothing but blatant copying - itā€™s so little changed that it has to be considered either a direct copy or a derivative work, both of which are prohibited. Iā€™d love to see him take a Hollywood movie, do his usual level of ā€œchangesā€, and start selling DVDs.

1 Like

The people heā€™s ā€˜appropriatingā€™ Seem to have very few resources. Meanwhile heā€™s part of a fine art community thatā€™s mostly become another leg of the financial/investment world. They canā€™t afford to go after him, and he can almost certainly afford to stall them out if they did.

5 Likes

Somehow I donā€™t think heā€™s going to sue. Heā€™ll just happily continue to take $90,000 where others get just $90.

2 Likes

I seem to recall stories about SG being a fairly exploitative workplace (who wouldā€™ve thought!) and Missy Suicide basically being a shop window for the arsehole who ran the place.

And hey, the AMA linked above has unanswered queries about that as the top-voted comment. Heh.

2 Likes

why not just do the same thing with his photos? surely he has a website. folks all around the world could take screen grabs and run their own exhibition. personally, iā€™d price the work at around $1.10 just to help saturate the market.

You mean to say that someone on the internet is pretending to be a cat?
Frankly, the very idea is just preposterous.

1 Like

You should read the first comment of her Reddit AMA. Itā€™s about her company exploiting women and photographers. She doesnā€™t answer. Her attempt to get some publicity worked very well, but not how she had hoped.

1 Like

Good artists challenge. Great artists provoke.

1 Like