☭ Sup Marxists? ☭

I posted this photo as a joke in this thread

https://cdck-file-uploads-global.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/boingboing/optimized/3X/9/a/9aa146b34f37246e33349cc7884038e288c2e250_1_690x286.jpg

But it came with a blogpost

YES. Discourse managed to find the theme of the whole piece! Amazing.

I’m not at all interested in discussing films within the patriarchal construct of film crit, ie let’s take this thing produced within the patriarchy and hold it up to a rubric manufactured by the patriarchy and say some things that are true primarily by the virtue of their being sanctioned by the patriarchy. Crit is boring. Let’s dismantle crit. Let’s look instead at the interesting, hilarious, tragic, eye-opening shit like this that happens when we continue producing art within a suffocating, strange “depoliticized” atmosphere.

And maybe I’m “taking this too seriously.” It’s an indie parody film. It’s by Kevin Smith. But, the thing is, not taking things seriously is kind of a luxury only afforded to a very particular demographic. For a lot of us, there’s just no such thing as a piece of art with no politics, because politics are not something we can separate from our lived experience. We cannot take these things that impact our lives and put them in a box and write about what’s left, and this is something that needs to be recognized in the way that we create, consume, and critique art.

Anyway, she claims

Tusk somehow managed to be the most realistic portrayal of the trauma of sexual assault that I have ever seen in cinema.

5 Likes