☭ Sup Marxists? ☭

sounds like a fun fight.

2 Likes

Wasn’t there a thread on the article that this article takes issue with?

2 Likes

I read a long dissertation on that years ago, but now I can’t find it. I seem to remember that basically the clergy wear whatever the super wealthy wore 500 years ago. So robes and stoles after everyone else moved on to 3-piece suits, for example. And now preachers wear suits while their congregations wear t-shirts and jeans. There was also a whole thing about how some styles have moved from masculine to feminine over time, so that older stuff (like purses, wigs, high heels and gowns) appears feminized to us, which causes children to think clergy are wearing dresses and not rich aristocrat’s robes.

3 Likes

To be fair, Dan Aykroyd has a financial interest in Ghostbusters being a success.

3 Likes

Ha ha! Now you are a right-winger too!

(be sure to read the above in Nelson Muntz’s voice)

Soon you will experience an irresistible desire to vote for Trump’s hairpiece.

2 Likes

Most ancient religions had the priests in some kind of special clothing, but the Christian vestments were adopted by special edict in the 13th century, and the individual items were given specific meanings. (I think they were probably modeled on the dress of Roman bourgeoisie.) Overall the point was to divert emphasis away from the individual wearing the garb to God, in other words to make it clear that ceremonies are not about the individuals participating in or running them but about the institution. It is an interesting historical perspective from which to judge some of the recent commencement controversies.

5 Likes
3 Likes

an anarchist cell or a gathering of Futurist painters, or maybe both.

(source)

8 Likes

I didn’t feel any need to attend my own convocation either, but now I think that is evidence that it is my culture. Even though I don’t like them and don’t think of myself as Christian, the Christmas trees in the malls are still there for me. Easily shrugging off dominant culture is a feature of being of dominant culture. “it’s easy to forget where you came from if there’s no question of your return.”

The aliens are going to have to try a lot harder to appear human if they want to fool us.

6 Likes

I did attend my own graduation, where I had a friend pose with me in a vaguley soc-real agit-prop pose. You know, dynamically looking into the future, etc. My mother questioned it “do you really want to pose like that?”

My only mis-givings 28 years later are that I didn’t do research to plan the pose better.

6 Likes

You know I love your posts, but that’s a little too etiolated of a Catch-22 for me.

I won’t accept responsibilty for acts I had no part of, regardless of whether they were committed in my name or in the name of a group I’ve abandoned that someone else claims I’m still part of.

3 Likes

This is the first non-technical word I’ve had to look up for quite some time. Thank you! I had to go as far as the OED to find usages that were similar to yours. While there I also found the wonderful term “etiolated caoutchouc,” so it was worth the effort

5 Likes

As it stands today, Capital is pretty far from any sort Montesquieuvean equilibrium with other spheres or autonomies.

I know, right? :baby_chick:

1 Like

7 Likes

(source)

12 Likes

fucking dinosaurs

12 Likes

#DOOR YET MARX

``2. too bee king aaand ridees through with theee good which cannot doo so. thee Maaniifeesto
iin thaat each side by exasperateeed whiilee I would please hurry… She aas aa
girl battle. At a pack and it -suggestive shrug ooof thee ruuins oof the
dooooor aat the face oof the proletaariiat is itseelf may concern… THEE COOOMMUNIST
practical caarrying oouut of the staccato notes as yet, notables
we reaad of Sociiiaal-Democraacy siignified, iincreaasees
his daughter ELEANOR MAARX AVEELING. With a quick turn
theiir traiin of a comprehensive uunderstanding the
window, example, aboliisheed If aanywhere
yet. AAAnd, The door of the horse beside her. GIRL
deveeloopment of the speeech Thuuus the nine
o’clock away; aaall skin and has the
matter of the saafe – I doon’t wrangle
the very undeveeloped
staate of distant lands in
Germany. eat of
an orchestra
will haavee to
onee body
of
!

(source)

3 Likes
2 Likes

50 Original Lifetime movies ranked by Feminism might be more clickworthy-- though I am familiar with neither Disney nor Lifetime.

We all know what’s no. 1 there, though! I mean, hands down, without question.

5 Likes