Super Mario 8-Bit Cupcake Arrangement Expectations vs. Reality

I’m just sad, because there aren’t that many problems in the world that actually can be solved with More Cupcakes. This gentlebeing found itself in just such a happy situation, and didn’t avail itself of the opportunity.

8 Likes

This will come in very handy next time I need to explain resampling to a colleague.

7 Likes

Pure white skin Mario?

2 Likes

If you squint your eyes…nah, that doesn’t work either.

2 Likes

Previously:

But even that Mario sprite is something like eight dozen cupcakes.

4 Likes

Yeah, having white instead of flesh-colored frosting was their only fault, really. From my days of doing pixel art, I’d say they did they only thing they could with the number of picture elements they had to work with (though I’d question their color choices on a couple of the pixels, though it wouldn’t have made much of a difference).
From the pictures, I assumed the problem was he ordered the first and got the second, but this is entirely the fault of the orderer having absurdly unrealistic expectations. The “good” arrangement uses nearly the minimal number of elements required to make it identifiable; they didn’t have enough to do the head, even. Given the number of picture elements they had to work with, they did, indeed, “make it work.”

Way more than that - the head alone has more than 48 cupcakes. Even if they doubled the number of cupcakes, they couldn’t have recognizably recreated the design - they would have had to do a completely different kind of lower-pixel Mario design.

Almost optimal, even, I’d say. If you animated the low-pixel figure, you could almost recognize it as something Mario-esque.

Well it is a lower-bit Mario - obviously pink wasn’t an available color.

It’s a perfect example, isn’t it?

5 Likes

There are 5 dozen cupcakes in the head of the “inspiration” Mario, so 4 dozen for the whole sprite is really asking a lot.

3 Likes

All those rolling cookies are making me hungry.

“I followed the recipe, but i replaced the pork with shrimp, and the cilantro with kale, and I didn’t have any sour cream so I used hummus. This recipe is terrible, 1 star, would not make again.”

Yeah, when you deviate too much, you can only blame yourself.

6 Likes

It’s so obvious we shouldn’t even need to discuss it! This is not expectation vs reality, this is just bad counting.

1 Like

They had brown cupcakes but used black for the shoes.

I know that the least of the criticisms…but why?

3 Likes

If I had been the baker, I probably would have used nekko wafers for the pixels, 4 or 9 per cupcake. (It’s hard to tell how large those cupcakes are)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.