Supreme Court OKs gay marriage, ends nationwide bans

I count nationally recognized civil unions as being more advanced than where we were literally yesterday. I’m not entirely sure they’re all too different in consequence and effect. But I don’t know all the issues in all the countries.

Hang on, let me get popcorn so I can watch the fireworks

I tried to read one of them, couldn’t do it…

I for one am glad this has happened. I have friends in same sex marriages and it’s about time they were legal!

1 Like

I’m going to have to remember “polycules” for later. That’s fantastic. :smile:

11 Likes

i’m trying not to go there in my thoughts about all this and the eventual backlash, but part of me really fears that you are right.

1 Like

Then we will fight. Period. I have friends who fought for gay rights from the 60s on. OLD friends who also didn’t live to see this day. We fight on.

History is on our side and the majority of Americans support gay marriage (along with other progressive causes). If the right wing goes full terrorist brownshirt, it may even make it easier to move society forward as they will be outing themselves for what they are.

4 Likes

agreed. but i just feel we have seen too much hate and violence in our history, particularly recently. i just don’t want anyone to get hurt or die because of such a beautiful, wonderful thing.

Too late. Gays have been being hurt and killed for centuries. You’ve never had a gay friend relate the story about how he or she got their ass stomped for being queer? Remember Matthew Shepard?

2 Likes

Thank you, although I must acknowledge that it did not originate with me. I first heard it from Cunning Minx of Polyamory Weekly fame. It made perfect sense as a metaphor; each polycule will vary in composition depending on its members. (And each configuration of different members will vary the result, even if most of the members are the same.)

I’m just glad my own polycue isn’t cesium or something.

being gay myself, i’m well aware of what gay people go through and have gone through. i’ve been there. i have people i loved and cared for who are now dead as a result of all sort of things… AIDS, gay bashing, loneliness, etc… my point is, i’m sick of it, and i want it to end. i don’t want any more violence or death because of who i or anyone else loves.

Nor do I want to be hurt for being queer (or poly, or genderqueer, etc.), but as @albill points out, we’ve been being hurt (in numerous ways) for a long, long time. People can try to protect themselves by staying hidden, but that doesn’t always work out too well, and ultimately makes it easier to justify hatred. The alternative is to work to gain the rights we deserve, but remember that this is also a long, difficult road. No one ever got their rights by standing there with their hat in their hands saying “Please, Mr. Oppressor, may I please have some equality now?”

2 Likes

I’d always heard poly groups described as constellations but polycule is a much easier term to throw around.

I used to listen to Polyamory Weekly but I somehow missed the term.

1 Like

.* Incredibly deep breath *

yay!

Well done, Americans!

Is it really that easy? one court ruling, and there’s just nothing to stop marriage equality any more?

Suits me.

As an American ex-pat, I feel like I have much less to be embarrassed about today. Now if we could just do something about all the gun violence…

I don’t either but I’m not sure that’s an option really. The people who hate queer folks and social justice in general aren’t going to meekly roll over, I believe. They will become more entrenched as their numbers diminish. American Taliban and all that.

I was at a poly wedding of some dear friends a few weeks ago, along with my four year-old. I hadn’t really planned on discussing poly with her much, given her age. We showed up at the park where they were taking pictures before the reception. My daughter looked around for twenty seconds, turned to me and said “daddy, does the bride have two husbands?”

Most interesting conversation I’ve had in ages. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

nice to be able to congratulate america for a change. good job america!

1 Like