Supreme Court to weigh whether 2nd Amendment gives citizens right to carry in public

Bingo, and this is why right-wing Evangelicals like the “originalism” thing. You have to have a literal reading of all old documents that help you guide your life.

6 Likes

What could possibly go wrong?

1 Like

The idea that rights can be deracinated constructs oblivious to the society, technology, and economics of the times they are being protected in is pure shit.

If I have a right of privacy it means something very different when I have a phone, when people have video cameras, when my communication is necessarily technologically mediated, when people have access to mass media etc.

10 Likes

" Black American are more likely than any other group, to be convicted of and subject to a firearms offense carrying a mandatory minimum. For the country’s black communities, on-the-ground enforcement of tougher gun laws will mean more harassment at the hands of the police, more arrests and more harsh prison sentences."

Almost all early gun control legislation was intended to disarm Blacks and other minorities.

Simply look at what the full, original name of a “Saturday Night Special” was, I shan’t write it here as it contains very bad racist words.

I am not at all opposed to reasonable training and education requirements for gun ownership.

Cars are far deadlier year after year and we have worked out societal accommodations for those who will see their cars keys removed “from their cold dead hand” and who respond to reasonable demands that cars not be sold that go twice or three times the legal speed limit.

Would you stop driving to save lives or accept a national speed limit of 25 MPH if it was proven it wold save thousands of lives?

3 Likes

I see people are still trying to argue that hiding deadly weapons on themselves as a lifestyle choice is somehow a fundamental right. Most states didn’t even issue these permits until this became a comical wedge issue by hobbyists with a chip on their shoulder about how important their guns are to real America.

Jesus Christ, do you not see how comparing concealed carry licenses to reproduction rights might mean you have a slightly extreme outlook on the issues?

10 Likes

Sad Charlie Brown GIF by Peanuts

9 Likes

Cars are under heavily enforced and restricted ownership unlike guns. Most people would love for guns to have the level of control and oversight and continual research into safe use and mandating simple systems to make dangerous devices safe.

15 Likes

This is all piecemeal ad hoc rationalizations that avoid context and the heart of the matter: the USA remains the only “developed nation” with such high levels of gun violence. All that matters is the question: are you willing to accept that violence or are you willing to be part of reducing it?

13 Likes

The answer is fairly obvious.

8 Likes

jada pinkett smith that part GIF by Red Table Talk

this isn’t rocket surgery… But… it’s groundhog day, so… we need to hear and make the same god damn arguments over and over… But people would rather have unfettered access to death tools than actually do anything about what’s happening in our country, I guess.

14 Likes

Same as it ever was.

13 Likes

Which rights? Do you think that is the case for ALL rights, or just some? Even if I agreed with your statement, that doesn’t contradict mine. But like I said, good news, the laws don’t treat them the same.

At any rate, I am not sure the complaint of how NY’s shall issue law is applied is “oblivious to the society, technology, and economics of the time”.

3 Likes

Conservatives: Turning bullshit into dogma since…forever.

3 Likes

Well it’s just start with one which is claiming a right to bear a particular technology shall we? You argument goes beyond specious into deliberately disengenous obfusticstion.

I shouldnt have dignified such a risible piece of sectoral bullshit with an actual example of how this works in real life in constitutional jurisprudence.

7 Likes

No. Just no.

First, guns now kill about as many Americans every year as automobiles. But even that is a misleading indicator of their relative danger, because most people don’t regularly come into contact with guns and even an avid gun user likely spends more time behind the wheel of a car than behind the trigger.

Go to any major city and you’ll see tens of thousands of people actively using automobiles in close proximity to each other, day in and day out. Most days, in most cities, no one dies at all.

Put tens of thousands of Americans in the same place using their guns at the same time and you get the Battle of Gettysburg.

If cars were as well-suited for killing people as guns then we wouldn’t bother equipping soldiers with firearms, we’d just give them all Army jeeps.

21 Likes

Hopefully the realization is setting in with 2A extremists responsible gun owners that if they don’t participate in the solution, they are going to have a worse one foisted upon them.

9 Likes

Actually I’d be fine with people gallivanting around even with six flintlocks pistols strapped all over 'em. Weigh them down something fierce, and prolly explode in their faces half the time. Also, less easy to go on a shooting rampage if you have to muzzle-reload the whole bunch, no?
And cannons? Bring ‘em on. I’d love to see an open-carry fan lugging one of those around main street: 100-lb barrel on 200-lb wheeled mount, squeak squeak creak "jus’ upholding me cuntstitutional rights huff huff arrrgh me back…"

8 Likes

60-70 pounds of weight for six very inaccurate shots? That would certainly limit the risks of mass shootings these days. I could see reasonable open carry under those conditions.

9 Likes

Only if one sees one right as silly, unnecessary, or only important to “gun humping ammo-sexual fetishist small dick loser”.

Thinking that both body autonomy and the right to bear arms and self defense is very important isn’t an extreme outlook. It’s a consistent one. One shouldn’t respect “state’s rights” if those rights are impeding others. If you don’t like that example, how about the recent Georgia voting laws. We shouldn’t be respecting “state’s rights” there either.

My part in reducing violence is the promotion of programs and structures that promote a more just and egalitarian world. The per capita violent crime rate over all has fallen severely since the 90s with out sweeping gun laws. I think working towards dismantling the social/economic barriers we have created in some areas will do even more to lower violent crime.

But also, not sure this applies to the issue at hand. They are suing to be issued a LICENSE. I thought that is what people wanted - licensing and tracking of who is permitted to carry, etc. Anyone who WANTS to carry a gun can, they will just get in trouble if caught. Anyone intending to do harm isn’t going to not carry concealed because it too is illegal. This law literally does nothing to reduce violent crime. It does impede people wanting to carry for protection.

2 Likes

And yet gun deaths have risen over that same period.

(Yes, I know the chart visually exaggerates this trend by using the “set the Y axis at non-zero number” trick but the trend for gun deaths has still gone up overall)

12 Likes