Gun control: no constitutional right to concealed carry

[Read the post]

6 Likes

Queue the hoards of 2nd Amendment absolutists…

31 Likes

well, this is an unexpected bright spot in my day. sh*t, meet fan.

17 Likes

Right?

http://imgur.com/fY8mIXZ

24 Likes

This makes me so happy to see. If people feel they need guns to protect themselves, great, but as someone who owns guns I find it a little unnerving that random Jane and Joe can be walking around with a gun. For me, eliminating concealed carry makes me feel more safe; less guns walking around (pun intended).

8 Likes

Doesn’t this mean open carry is ok?
I don’t live in the US nor am I a US citizen, so I’m very fuzzy about those issues, but what stops people from openly having a gun?

1 Like

That’s fine. For me it’s always open carry, on account of my nudism.

Skin color, generally.

48 Likes

If people going about their daily business feel the need to carry guns to protect themselves, there is something very badly wrong.

11 Likes

It seems to me that there are several groups of people who many feel the need to carry firearms to protect themselves, specifically:
*Women,
*LGBT+ people, and specifically transgender people
*Muslims,
*People of Color

All of whom face the constant threat of targeted crimes of grave bodily harm and hate crimes.

Admittedly, not generally the people you think of when you think of concealed carry. If you can find a way to ensure these people can protect themselves while preventing the sterotypical white male bigot from being armed, have at it. But there are people who have a legitimate need for effective self defense tools, and until the world learns not to hate, that need isn’t going away.

6 Likes

100% agreed. I guess I was referring more to people’s apparent “need” to protect their home with firearms. Wasn’t terribly clear there; sorry.

1 Like

Bear mace works pretty well.

4 Likes

As does the much more legal and easier to get wasp spray.

6 Likes

A quick internet check would suggest that it’s legal, though wasp spray in the eyes is certainly deserved by the chosen target.

Hopefully, privately owned businesses that insist that they don’t want guns brought into their establishments.

1 Like

and the abolitionists :slight_smile:

In the State of California (which is under the jurisdiction of the 9th Circuit Court who decided this case). Open carry was recently banned by state law. So in for county governments which choose to severely limit concealed carry permit issuance (like the counties of Los Angeles, Alameda, San Francisco) this means that there is a de facto ban on any type of carry unless you have a permit from another county of some sort of exception (like being a police officer).

The major recent US Supreme Court (SCOTUS) cases address the right to arms and Heller and McDonald and they address self defense but only in the context of inside the home. So there is currently no federal court case enumerating a “right to carry” outside the home.

There is no definitive right regarding open carry either. It is currently governed by each local state’s laws (and maybe also by city or county law if the state laws or state constitution is silent.

3 Likes

The right to bear mace. I like it.

11 Likes

Admittedly, not generally the people you think of when you think of concealed carry. If you can find a way to ensure these people can protect themselves while preventing the sterotypical white male bigot from being armed, have at it.

Oh, they’re often the people I think of when I think of concealed carry–its hard not to these days, namely because of all the “concern” for them that has been the nauseating tactic of the NRA et al. in their open carry talking points . Yeah, the NRA is all about protecting Muslims and LGBTs.

Too bad they couldn’t show similar concern when they made some of those same groups among the biggest victims of the guns they so worship, and too bad there’s no evidence that concealed weapons actually “ensure” the protection they claim it does–other than in their gun-stroking wet dreams of course.

12 Likes

Not sure how well bearing Mace works outside the movies

5 Likes

This is my favorite kind of mace.

2 Likes

Cool, this is mine:

:slight_smile:

21 Likes