Surreally-earnest instructional videos from the 40s, 50s, 60s

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/29/surreally-earnest-instructional-videos-from-the-40s-50s-60s.html

2 Likes

for some, true. for others, there can be a fascinating element that combines nostalgia, hidden history, and inadvertent anthropology. for many children who grew up in the 60s and early 70s so many of the objects shown in this presentation from chevrolet represented the aging detritus of our lives. many of these designed objects were an embarrassment a mere year or two after unveiling. others managed to make it into realm of family treasure or a longed-for reminiscence. a rare few managed to become historic, even iconic–

7 Likes

True.I get all those things, too.

4 Likes

Why does it feel like Barbara’s New Shoes was written by Gerald Ford?

2 Likes

09:49 Rolligon Tires! That truck, and the crop-sprayer that follows, just scream “Thunderbirds are go!” Thank you for sharing that.

All this talk of colour, and everyone is white.

5 Likes

The ubiquitous product colors are an irruption from from the collective white consciousness, a manifestation of sublimated desire for the denigrated, expunged racial other.

6 Likes

Looking at these today is bizarre, creepy, and unnerving.

Most of them come across as weird today, but Barara’s New Shoes should get a pass as it seems to have been made specially for hearing impaired training (lip reading, perhaps).
barbara1 barbara2

6 Likes

Yes, that’s why I specifically pointed this out in the caption to that video.

3 Likes

The best parts of many Mst3k episodes!

3 Likes

American Look furniture looked more like Danish Modern. In fact…!

4 Likes

Or Rifftrax!

1 Like
6 Likes

Cultural and industrial instructional films, not videos. I imagine that they were made on 16 mm film and shown using 8 mm projectors and portable screens, but that’s just a guess.

4 Likes

Good catch. Brain fart. Will change.

I dunno… I recently taped some shows on my DVR… and I watched them on the 'tube tonight.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.