Suspicious, photo-taking "Middle Eastern" men were visually impaired tourists

Ah, sorry, I wasn’t aware of that story. I figured those were the actual bombers and you were bringing it up as an argument for publishing unofficial “wanted” posters.

1 Like

I harbor a dislike for the microaggression crap as well. That’s what encroaches on freedoms from the other side, populated by the Career Offendeds. But the outage economy is inflationary, you need more and more of a stimulus to get the same reaction, and it is wearing off. So luckily that is somewhat self-limiting.

And unless you’re actually targeted by an online mob (and don’t have a hands-off HR at your job), you can shrug it off.

Except that they are and will be. THAT is the problem. You can’t just shrug off cops or border goons that use their “antiterrist authoritah” on you because they think you’re doing Something Grossly Wrong. Like that girl from MIT. Or that Boston LED Scare. Or the myriad of other “incidents”. Or the growing amount of restrictions on buying and even mere possession of “bad things”, whatever it is. Don’t touch my etchants.

Oh, some fun I just stumbled over.
http://mashable.com/2016/01/20/terrorist-house-spelling-mistake/

The thresholds for “reasonable suspicion” are unreasonably low.

5 Likes

In the right circumstances, everything you do looks suspicious. Circumstances being: You’re brown in public, and doing something as opposed to nothing.

Suspicion is entirely in the eye of the beholder. Some people would think a guy in traditional Arab clothing boarding a local transit train in Atlanta with a backpack is suspicious. Some people think a black man in a store that sells high end mechandise is suspicious. “Suspicious” is a weasely justification for just about anything under the sun.

I think that police have a responsibility to predict the predictable. There is a reason why they don’t go around just saying “There’s a guy with a black and white avatar of someone with a hat on that we think might be a pedophile, but we’re not sure.” I would be worried if I were one of these men and there were news reports about how suspicious I was, even if I cleared it up with the police. It only takes one moron with an inferiority complex to make my day a bad one.

2 Likes

“And unless you’re actually targeted by an online mob (and don’t have a hands-off HR at your job), you can shrug it of.”

I don’t think it’s such an easy issue to shrug off. The ‘fear of offending,’ is turning people into mush brains… It’s like a stupid virus, with colleges wanting to change their mascot name like ‘crusaders’. It’s quite stupid.

“10-year-old Muslim boy questioned by police over ‘terrorist house’ spelling mistake.”

I’m glad they checked the situation out. It’s easy to judge from a distance, and make fun of it. But, terrorism, and terrorist nutcases are becoming more amd more of a problem, so better to check it out than regret letting something slide.

I sure wish they would do something about those totalitarian, mouthy Imam ass***** and that Sharia Law crap.

It is stupid, indeed.

Do you really want to live in a world where an innocent typo can get your home raided, your computer inspected and your privacy invaded?

Do you really enjoy feeling terrorized so much that you let them win by such a margin?

I don’t. I prefer the minuscule risk of some inept attacker over the looming Damocles sword of overblown government action.

I laugh at the terrorist clowns. I fear the governments’ attempts to “protect” me.

Job opportunities in the ghetto areas, perhaps? Some actual realistic hope of getting out of there and having a decent career and a family?

Response to shaddack:

I don’t advocate ‘overblown’ Gov’t action. The nature of the '‘beast’ so to speak though, is that these things will happen now and then. Of course we need to try and prevent that as much as possible. The only reason we haven’t had more terrorist attacks, is because ‘they’ are tracking down who they can. I don’t fear terrorist attacks that much where I live, but I am sick of seeing how these savages are operating in about every country on earth, murdering/hacking/butchering people every day. And as you notice, it’s defenseless people, often trying to do better in their world. They often go after students trying to get educated, like the other day in Pakistan.

Here in the West, If they want to get better jobs, and have better lives, then they need to integrate, become educated, and put away barbaric ideologies. What did the group of Asian Muslim parents do in the UK a couple decades ago to the teacher (Ray Honeyford) who loved his students, and wanted them to progress in the modern world? They go after him, and cast him out. Shame on the school system for ever letting something like that happen.

Of course there are obstacles, and serious challenges for many immigrants, but that’s no excuse for barbaric thinking, and murderous barbarism.

Islamists keep pushing their misogynist, sectarian/political brutal Sharia Law in their own countries, and now they are pushing it in the West. Look at Saudi Arabia, Iran, and most Islamic countries. They are still following their barbaric Sharia Laws, stoning people, murdering gays, Christians, murdering those who are trying to educate themselves, and want to live with freedom of speech, etc.

In the West, those that speak up against this barbarity, like Hirsi Ali, what happens to them? The idiotic, totalitarian ‘lefties’, work to get them banned from speaking at educational institutions. This kind of weak mindedness supports those with barbaric mentalities, and practices, and undermines all that so many people have struggled, and died for. I thought this kind of barbaric ideology would be easily dismissed, and crushed in the West. I am astounded to see how many people do not stand more vocally ‘aggressive’ against barbaric thinking, and practice, for fear of being ‘racist’, or ‘culturally insensitive’. Ugh.

Welcome to the world of free speech: where someone can choose to say whatever they want (like, say, trying to push Sharia Law in western democracies), even if you don’t like it. Thankfully, saying that they want Sharia law doesn’t mean that they actually get it (at least, I’m not aware of any western democracies that have added it into their legal systems yet - am I wrong on this?).

2 Likes

(created a separate post, as I came back with another thought and my previous comment already has likes, so I don’t want to force those comments to be “liking” this added thought)

Another wonderful aspect of free speech: it gives you the right to say whatever you want, but it does NOT give you the right to a platform.

2 Likes

The beast should be therefore kept on a short leash. If not euthanised and replaced with a less aggressive one.

Or maybe because the actual danger is so low that the agencies have to infiltrate harmless groups and then coax them into action only to bust them? Happened quite many times.

So why not take a look at who is sponsoring the spread of wahhabism and putting some pressure at them? Or would it strain the precious relations with Saudi Arabia, the “friend”?

This is a quite double-sided aspect, both good and bad… Too little time to elaborate.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.