Sweaters for drones

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/12/27/sweaters-for-drones.html

2 Likes

A fur coat for drones has already been done, of course.

5 Likes

I assume you refer to this?

16 Likes

Seems like a missed opportunity to coin the phrase “drone cozy” before someone uses it for something silly like “being overly sanguine about drone omnipresence.” :laughing:

5 Likes

It is rare but every now and then I realize there is more in the world than I care about.

11 Likes

FINALLY things are starting to make sense again!!!

5 Likes

Nananananananananananananananana CAT DRONE!

3 Likes

“If you want to destroy my sweater. Wooaaaoooaaooo,
Hold this thread while I fly away (while I fly away.)”

6 Likes

Seems like they really should be ugly Christmas sweaters.

3 Likes

fun with javascript - “Array(16).join( ‘wat’ - 1);”

the Wat talk about script language quirks is brilliant

https://destroyallsoftware-talks.s3.amazonaws.com/wat.mp4?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAIKRVCECXBC4ZGHIQ%2F20161228%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20161228T085118Z&X-Amz-Expires=14400&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Signature=132e171d6e0ed9ec24de8cea98a393dceacfa5e2933c6906b7db4911798fc874

Shouldn’t they be feathered?

Does this count towards the 250g limit over which you have to register your drone with the FAA?

1 Like

The FAA is pulling a fast one. When you get to their site, they ask you to register your Unmanned Aircraft System, but that only applies to drones used commercially. If it’s used for recreational use, it’s a model aircraft not a UAS, and under the current legislation the FAA is specifically blocked from making any new rules over model aircraft (as long as they conform to five conditions).

SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.
(a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—

1. the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
  2. the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
  3. the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;
  4. the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and
  5. when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport)).

So they’re probably operating beyond the reach of their powers there. Got lawyer?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.