Swedes are entitled to six months' leave to start a business, look after a sick relative, or study

(Off-topic) Ah, but Swedes have a weird system when it comes to buying alcohol. It’s government-regulated and you have to line up, take a number and essentially point to what you want. No browsing, really. Low-ish alcohol beer (5% or less, I think) is available at every corner store though.

Also, @Melz2, the Swedes apparently have a saying: “there’s no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing”. Having only experienced snow twice in my life before I went to Stockholm about 10 years ago, when it got to -19° Celsius and there’s real, living (as in remarkably not frozen) homeless people, I strongly disagree with the “no such thing as bad weather” part.

4 Likes

Same here; that’s just the self-deluding bullshit they tell themselves to get through each day.

3 Likes

Yeah… we were hanging out in a summer house at the time, where, for funsies, they had previously spent some vacation time during a previous winter. They had to keep the fire burning continuously, requiring constant splitting of logs, to prevent from freezing to death. As a California-boy-to-the-bone, my response was, “Ha, what fun… to hear about, not experience!”

4 Likes

Horrible!! See what one of the highest tax rates in the world gets you?! See?!

/s

2 Likes

Splitting logs is great.

Meh. I heat with wood fire, NBD. Seriously, needing to wear a coat more often is WAY WAY worse than living in an economy that focuses on citizens’ well-being…? Huh.

2 Likes

Utah has a state monopoly on alcohol sales. 16 other states have a state monopoly on spirits.

Yes, it’s government regulated, but no, you don’t have to line up. All the stores have browsing these days. The stores are only open 10–19* weekdays, 10–15* saturdays, though, and there’s not that many stores. The stores usually have a great range of products, and if the local store doesn’t have it, you can order.

Non-govenment stores are only allowed to sell alcoholic beverages at 3.5% (or less), sadly.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.