Six reasons why some people refuse to stay home during a pandemic

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/24/six-reasons-why-some-people-re.html

4 Likes
  1. people are still going to work because they live paycheck to paycheck and can’t afford to take a day off, let alone two weeks.
60 Likes

7 Likes

It’s like this story that came out recently about anti-vaxxer Californians moving to Idaho where vaccination laws are more relaxed. One mother was quoted as saying “I don’t care about the herd. I care about my family, my children.”

8 Likes
  1. They value partisan trolling over society.
29 Likes
  1. They’re experiencing domestic violence and need to get away from their abuser.
19 Likes
5 Likes

They favor individual freedom over the good of society. " The Western world, and the US in particular, has long prized individual freedoms – sometimes even over community benefit."

I keep having arguments with these people on Reddit. They will insist, without hesitation it seems, that dying of a preventable or treatable disease due to the lack of socially funded health care is the American freedom that they will fight and die for. Because it’s apparently better to die than be subject to…um…other people helping you out when you’re in need.

33 Likes

Anyone who willingly dines at Red Robin gets exactly what they deserve.

13 Likes
  1. People do automatonic things by routine. Even if they know better.

Edit: two-way tie for 8. makes this 10.

6 Likes

That one is ok, just like leaving your house when it is burning down is ok.

3 Likes

The service industry people I know had to adopt a cavalier/ignorant attitude early on because the reality was too frightening.

I feel like fear is a big motivator to ignore the truth. You can watch days worth of horrific videos from China and Europe about the problems the virus causes, but maybe it is easier to blame and yell and be ignorant than to absorb the full weight of what is going on.

4 Likes

I don’t think any of the reasons offered so far cover this person’s motivation.

10 Likes

Blackeye, you’re in the running for a Pappy with your faithful adherence to proper numerical sequencing! @Papasan

3 Likes
  1. They’re stupid.

End of list.

12 Likes

As an IT tech for a university, I have been working hard to get laptops into the hands of our faculty and staff so they can stay home. Once everyone can work from home, I rest. (Oh no, I won’t- I’ll be doing remote support :slight_smile: )

21 Likes
  1. Because the shops have been almost emptied by hoarders, I have to go shopping every day to scavenge the food I need.
15 Likes

Ugh. I keep thinking/saying “because they’re assholes.” It makes me feel shitty. But my better angels cannot convince me I’m wrong.

8 Likes
  1. They’re stupid.
  2. They’re selfish.

Sturgeon’s Law applies to people.

3 Likes