Here's the full video of covidiots in Huntington Beach refusing to wear a mask

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/16/heres-the-full-video-of-covi.html

8 Likes

“Before the pandemic, I had no idea that there were so many idiots and sociopaths in the population.”

Donny Small Hands was elected president. That tear in he fabric of reality was all I needed to see to suspect that a great many Americans are pretty clueless.

35 Likes

I like how they use their earnestly clueless dudebro personas to highlight how idiotic the people around them are acting. For example:

Women: We have masks in our bags.
Mask Bros: Why aren’t you wearing them?
Women: They are in the car.
Mask Bros: Oh. That makes sense I guess.

26 Likes

Before the pandemic, I had no idea that there were so many idiots and sociopaths in the population.

I’d give it at least 10% for both combined (on bad days, 20%). What’s more surprising is the number of sociopaths who’d endanger their own health just to aggravate other people.

15 Likes

A little bummed that one of the guy’s masks is slipping below his nose, otherwise good on them for confronting stupidity with free masks.

9 Likes

They’re a straight up delight.

We learned a valuable lesson today. Don’t hand out masks when you’re wearing sandals. If you’re gonna hand out masks, wear shoes you can fight in. Or run. Better to run. And don’t bring your favorite shirt, because it might be muffed up.

6 Likes

Lots of them.

19 Likes

I read a thing, once upon a time. It was meant to be humorous. I’m paraphrasing from memory here.

There is a whole lot of explicit affirmation for selfish, arrogant denial of facts these days, coming from literally the highest office in the land.

I think the covidiots were out there all along, they just aren’t ashamed of it anymore.

10 Likes

Before the pandemic, I had no idea that there were so many idiots and sociopaths in the population

33 Likes

Ok, but those guys are outdoors and not near others until approached. Not where I’d put my pro-masking energy. (Don’t get me wrong, I have been making and wearing masks since March.)

10 Likes

I really don’t get it.

Like, it would have been the easiest thing in the world to do a simple, patriotic-verging-on-propaganda media push to make wearing a mask the most patriotic thing you can do.

Like, most Americans are easy: wrap something in the flag, tell them “your country needs you!” / “do your part!” / “Unkie Sam wants you to [do the thing]!” / “USA USA USA” / “fight back and save your family!” … and the majority of Americans would have been falling over their feet in the rush to tear up their own backyard flags and turn them into striped-and-starred masks for their entire families.

Sure, some people would have rolled their eyes at the over-the-top messaging… but those people would have either worn masks regardless, or been pressured into doing so.

It should have been so fucking easy.

Millions of infections. Millions.

Fuck.

34 Likes

I don’t think they’re as clueless as they appear. They’re pretty quick with some pointed rejoinders. “How does wearing a mask shut down the economy?”

It’s pretty disturbing to see how many people, in addition to the ones they approached, were walking around in close proximity to others without a mask. Lah-dee-fricking-dah.

5 Likes

Maybe watch the video. They sure arranged a lot of people.

7 Likes

Well yeah, that was my point. They’re smart guys pretending to be clueless dudebros so they can ask questions in a “explain this to me like I’m a child” kind of way.

Another example:

Anti-masker: It’s all made up!
Mask Bro, seeming genuinely curious: Wow, really? Who made it up?

18 Likes

Being from Texas, I kind of assumed that we were non-mask-wearing a-holes and that places like Huntington Beach would be filled with intelligent, conscientious, social-distancing super citizens. But I guess you can throw a rock and hit an a-hole anywhere in this country.

Because rights and freedom, right?

4 Likes

I live 15 miles north of HB, and this random dude’s anger is spot on for this community.

HB may be Surf City, USA, but it is NOT a chill place.

6 Likes

It’s a great technique to get people to explain themselves to you. I used to work with a finance guy who was a master at this (with an Appalachian spin).

4 Likes

California leans progressive overall but definitely has its MAGA enclaves. Huntington Beach is one such place, though it’s not entirely without its charms. Kern County, on the other hand…

7 Likes

Orange County (which includes Huntington Beach) is literally the villain in the movie Milk.

14 Likes

they really are clever, and using the surfer bro image to disarm people. “twenty miles?? that’s a long walk! congrats, dude!” lol

3 Likes