Here's the full video of covidiots in Huntington Beach refusing to wear a mask

Beat me to it…

Yeah, CA is state of ~35 million people with multiple distinct geographic, climate, sociological, economic regions. It can’t be reduced to a couple of easy stereotypes.

3 Likes

I think you’re really on to something… It seems like before, a lot of people didn’t speak their mind because they were afraid of being perceived as stupid… Trump has made sounding like an idiot a badge of honor.

On a separate note, it’s really interesting to me that a performative act of “freedom” (not wearing a mask) is more important to these people than other markers of freedom. Like freedom from fear and want… those have diminished in favor of wearing black-and-white flag t-shirts. It speaks to a lack of empathy for those less fortunate.

3 Likes

Wait a minute, I don’t think people need to wear masks if they are outside and not near other people, only indoors in close proximity to others.
"This makes it important to routinely wear masks when you’re in close proximity to others indoors, like at the grocery store or pharmacy. But what about when you’re simply outside, working in your garden or on a brisk, summer walk?

There’s certainly nothing wrong with wearing a mask any time you’re outdoors if you feel comfortable doing so. If you’re unlikely to be around anyone or will have the option of maintaining a safe distance from anyone you encounter, then a mask likely isn’t necessary but having one handy is a good idea just in case." https://health.clevelandclinic.org/should-i-wear-a-mask-outside/

4 Likes

“It’s not a mask, it’s a MUZZLE!!!”

20 Likes

Oh, I guess that explains the Florida spike. Unless they learn to make even the smallest sacrifice a lot more people are going to die and this is going to drag on and on and on. I am so very weary of this selfishness.

2 Likes

Any white guy sitting out in the mid-day southern CA sun with only shorts and a hat is already telling us how stupid he is. I don’t care how fucking tan he is. Melanoma doesn’t play favorites.

4 Likes

Less than 7,000 Americans are projected to die of Melanoma this year. Compared to Covid-19 that’s trivial.

8 Likes

I wonder if I can apply for refugee status in a progressive country by citing mass stupidity in the USA?

8 Likes

In old Europe face mask were made with national flags. Simple

I suggest that selling a stars and stipes face mask will get some success. And for the more stubborn ones I think that a confederate mask’ll do the trick.

4 Likes

That’s my take, too.
I have a bunch of masks to wear when going into any building. And I wear one at the farmer’s market, mainly because I can’t assume other people will feel safe if I don’t, even though I think (based on science) that outdoors and with effective social distancing the mask is less of an issue.
That said, I like this video, and I like that they are offering masks to people who might not have them. It’s telling that only a couple kids take them up on the offer. It’s telling, too, the number of very angry responses they get, for offering them for free. Goes to show how politicized this has become.

Well, it is the home of the John Birch Society, which I believe still exists!

2 Likes

It’s impossible to guarantee effective social distancing. The farmers market would be a big cloud of droplets without general mask wearing.

1 Like

Problem: That argument sounds just like “We’re all infected! Let us in!”
Anyways, closed borders.
Loophole: Say you are driving to Alaska. Or arrive with a semi-trailer full of produce.

Edit - added quote

Sociopaths? The ‘science’ is that it helps prevent spread. I have been socially distancing since February, I live in an area that has had multiple days of no new infections within a province with less than 130 yesterday. If I wanted to drive to a beach, avoid ppl and sit alone what does that make me?

2 Likes

Jim Beaver has a bit to say.

15 Likes

Unfortunately, people hear one part of this and think that they don’t have to wear a mask if they’re hiking or walking on heavily trafficked areas.

We went hiking at Vazquez Rocks twice since the shutdown in CA. The first time there were very few people because we got there early and the park was closed to cars. Masks not really necessary. The second time was after the parks had opened and there was a crapload of people on the trails. Some of the steeper trails are narrow and many people refused to wear masks. As we stepped aside for people, one dude coughed in our direction. We were using bandanas, but we were worried enough that we decided that we won’t go back until it’s safer.

6 Likes

You wear masks to protect other people.:roll_eyes:There are a lot of asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic people.

It’s not about protecting yourself.

12 Likes

Wow, that’s a lot of spaghetti with conclusions posted without the surrounding context.

and

With links to several studies used in drawing up the recommendations.

Conclusion: A wall of text does not an argument make.

12 Likes