Sweet new moon rover from Toyota and the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency

I’ll take it over the abjectly worthless M-44 any day.

1 Like
4 Likes

they also don’t seem to realize sound doesn’t travel in space. where’s that music coming from!?

3 Likes

That thing will explore the polar regions? As in, plural? Is the moon that small so as the buggy can just road trip from one end to the other?

And why go all wussy electric? When the astronauts get it to the moon, they should swap out the drivetrain with a small block Chevy, like what people do to their Landcruisers. Add headers, some Warn hubs and beefy front diff, and they should easily be able to climb the rocks and craters then get from the north to the south pole in about two hours, kickin’ up moon dust the whole way. You’ll be able to see it from 'Merica on full moon nights.

1 Like

Probably the same miracle of physics that allows it to keep moving merrily at the 1:18-1:20ish mark despite the fact that its wheels are briefly just not spinning at all…

2 Likes

3 Likes

I know what you mean, but I just sensed a disturbance in the Force, like millions of physics teachers throwing blackboard erasers.

Lunar Space Elevator!!!

“ A lunar elevator, however, could be constructed using commercially available mass-produced high-strength para-aramid fibres (such as Kevlar and M5) or ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene fibre.”

They’ll probably want an off-road light bar on the roof. Even if they don’t plan to drive at night, in any large shadow it’ll be pretty dark, plus the monochrome lunar color scheme won’t help. Widely spaced light sources will help with depth perception.

Oh, and truck nuts and Yosemite Sam dust flaps.

2 Likes

Good point, she should quit blocking my view…

3 Likes

If you can’t keep a decent crease on your bell-bottoms in space, you have no business leaving Earth. Or the '70s.

4 Likes
1 Like

Users may want to wait for Consumer Report, Car & Driver, Road & Track, et al, reviews before committing to this. Don’t want a Lunar Lemon.

Or a Moon Pinto…

2 Likes

Don’t be silly. Of course not.

1 Like

Gerry Anderson never did explain why being on the moon necessitated identical purple wigs (for the female employees):

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.