Switch your search engine for your efficiency, for the health of the web, and for the planet

I’ve used Lynx and elinks before. It is a very different experience using a text based browser.

3 Likes

Indeed! Images broke a lot of the raw experience of using the Internet. Word up to ELinks!!

Everyone should at least TRY a week with a text-only web browser. With images on constant load your mind never gets a chance to think up its own perspective on what it’s reading.

Can you imagine a photo on the top of every book page you’d ever read? Text-only cuts deeper.

2 Likes

Totally, almost makes me want to type ATDT …

A web-dev friend from the early days considers Lynx functionality/compatibility to be a general basic requirement for all sites due to it (at least at one time) being the preferred option for people using screen-readers and braille interfaces.

2 Likes

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH! I have been confused about this since the days of Mosaic and Lynx!

2 Likes

This is why Brave Search was created though it’s still in beta and has some catching up to do. There’s also mojeek which has made independent crawling/indexing their deal for a long time.

3 Likes

GRYPENTROG - GYMANFA ?

No that is not a complete sentence

1 Like

alas, it’s not actually my card catalog. ( i wish i was that cool. )

they all appear to be last names

Griepentrog, North German: from a sentence meaning ‘reach in(to) the vat’; a late medieval nickname for a journeyman baker or perhaps for a greedy person

and gymanfa looks to be welsh

https://www.ontariowelshfestival.ca/cymanfaoedd/bethywcymanfa.html

(eta: for the lack of onebox)

What is a Gymanfa Ganu? Its literal translation is a gathering or assembly for the purpose of singing. For any Welsh person it means hymn singing - in Welsh and in four part harmony.

In Wales a Gymanfa Ganu traditionally takes place on Easter Monday or on Whit Sunday.

4 Likes

Well…

10 Likes

sad but true

Hey, have you heard about this super-cool tool called gopher?

1 Like

DDG used to use several search engines, Yandex was one until Russia invaded Ukraine.

You can also use it to pass a search to Google by putting !g at the start

3 Likes

angry conan obrien GIF by Team Coco

7 Likes

9 Likes

I really want to do this, but that part really sounded a bit too MLM’y…

4 Likes

So if i use brave, with ddg as the default search, that shite doesn’t happen?

1 Like
4 Likes

I thought Ecosia was mostly for German audiences, but I guess that’s because it got its start here. I saw a television documentary about greenwashing talking about them, and they came off as cleaner than the reporter had originally expected, and open about the people behind Ecosia not being there yet where they hope to be, environment wise.

The whole report was about how sensible their tree planting project was, since a lot of “plant a tree” calls to action just mean supporting a plantation. The Ecosia trees are actually tracking how the trees develop, figure many won’t make it, but that the positive balance is still worth it even if it falls short of what they had hoped for.

7 Likes

That’s really informative, thanks. I was wondering the degree to which greenwashing was a concern, here, rather than focusing on my more preferred privacy-centric switch to Duck Duck Go.

I still don’t think I’ll make the switch, as I’m not convinced that non-targeted search is going to be that resource-intensive, anyways. I don’t see the need to make search functions the tip-of-the-spear on ecological sustainability, so long as they’re systemically the more neutral option.

1 Like

DUCKDUCKGO
Use DuckDuckGo. Safe, efficient. Will never rat you out to Uncle Sam or the Corpses.

1 Like

Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

No search engine has control of what accesses third party sites. The important part is that anyone trying to scoop information from those sites will only get DuckDuckGo information, It acts like a VPN or proxy hiding you while managing your search, and sending you the results. That cartoon is pure propaganda, probably drawn by a Google lackey.

1 Like