Syria/Serbia

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Humanity: Worth It Or Noty? Naughty. :wink:

P.S. Thank you, BB, for having the cyberjones to let me poet-post. I loove u!

Thanks, Jasmina - Excellent as always.

The parallels are interesting, even though not exact. I think it’s important to point out that the events of the Yugoslav wars are still being felt today, and not just in recent memories. The situation in Kosova, for example, is still tense and unfolding.

2 Likes

Irrelevancy: My mind keeps trying to complete that headline with “/Siberia/Suburbia”.

1 Like

“humanitarian bombing”. Thank you for putting those two words together; it makes people think.

2 Likes

I was hoping for some answer here, but apparently there isn’t one. In Serbia international sanctions caused deaths, and while NATO bombing caused surprisingly few deaths, it still didn’t topple the regime. I’m not sure what she’s trying to say here except some vaguely existentialist resignation from the world we live in: wars keep happening, we never learn.

While I admit that savagery goes on all the time, when something as universally condemned as chemical warfare happens the world should do something-- I personally can’t sit by and listen to my neighbor beat his wife or starve his dog, nor can I watch his house burn while throwing up my hands and saying “well, I can’t do anything about it.”

Except no matter how much I think about it, I don’t know what can be done for Syria-- if the US or NATO or some coalition intervenes there will be deaths, if they don’t intervene there will be deaths, no matter who wins there will be deaths and probably a dictatorship of some kind in the aftermath.

So I guess maybe I DO understand what she is saying.

1 Like

Bosnian Muslim who spent a few days in Serbia

Cringe

Yeah man, blood in her veins is of a totally different color.

I’m not a fan of her writing (here as well, I think she mixes some nice images in an ultimately pointless piece), but tribal ad-hominems are really unclassy.

2 Likes

Fireman Sam would agree.

She is trying to pass herself off as someone she isn’t. That’s all I’m saying.

Even a quick internet search reveals she was born in Beograd, which is, you know, SERBIA. Now whether she is “ethnically” Serbian is another question, but unless you are saying she was not in Serbia during the bombing, whether she is Serbian, Bosnian, Eskimo or African doesn’t matter-- her experiences with bombing and NATO intervention are the point of the article.

4 Likes

Please enlighten us as to what she is passing herself off as? Does her political dissidence to the Milosevic regime mean she is not properly Serbian? Or do you mean something else? Really, inquiring minds want to know how she’s not good enough to define herself as she sees fit?

As far as I know, she is. And she was there. I’m gonna guess Walter1 here is a nationalist troll.

Delirium.
In one word “thank you NATO for bombing us, with every singly bomb you were bringing us piece of democracy, im so happy to be bombed. People of Syria, leave your homes, spread your arms to the sky and waiting for freedom (tomohowks)”
Betrayer

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.