Systems of education and its discontents

1 Like

Damn it… I want a doctoral sword!!! Another failure of American academia! No swords!

3 Likes

Shudder.

4 Likes

As a product of WV public schools K-Med School, I can only say “Amen.”

5 Likes

Bad news: Scholastic has moved “diverse books” (social justice, LGBTQ+, anything dealing with diverse characters (like Marvel’s Black Panther)) into their own category and section of their school book fair offerings, and elementary schools need to opt into receiving them.

Good news: Pressure was put in them and they will be changing their ways.

Bad news: The current book fair season is already underway, and they won’t be making changes until the new season starts in January.

As the chairperson of an upcoming middle school book fair, I wasn’t happy hearing about the segregation of content we’ll have to deal with, but at least at the middle school level those books are included no matter what.

6 Likes

Thank you for doing that important work!

:clap:

8 Likes

Thanks! I’m not even part of the Parent Teacher Org. I’m literally coming in to do a job no one wants to.

6 Likes

Until fairly recently, it was just a thankless job that involved a lot of work and organizational skills. Now it is one that carries the possibility of threats and bodily harm with it. Thank you for doing it anyway!

9 Likes

Not entirely sure how to react to this. First off, it seems to project the old lie that teaching is so easy, anyone can do it, you don’t need any special training or experience. On the other, the shortage has reached desperate levels, and it is hurting the future of the students. But does this help them, or just make it look like the issue is “solved” so they can quit worrying about it? Sigh… I hate this timeline.

6 Likes

Yeah, that piece has the usual NPR toothlessness. I’m sure they could’ve found harsher critics, especially those who point out how much such programs devalue the professional training that comes with a college degee.

If pretty much anyone can become a teacher quickly this way, then why bother expecting aspiring teachers to get a degree? Granted, college has become ridiculously expensive, but it’s still a valuable form of teacher training and certification.

This part is just weird to me:

It also isn’t clear whether these teachers are more effective. Edwards believes much more research is needed, given the high “interest and investment.”

“We want to know whether teachers who participate in Grow Your Own programs have higher contributions to student test scores, whether they have higher contributions to the likelihood of kids graduating high school, whether [the students] graduate college and their income when they become adults.”

MORE effective?

Seems to me they’re likely to be less so, given their relative lack of training.

6 Likes

Also, it can take several years for teachers with training to really get good at the job. Like the other recent programs that put random people into classrooms these teachers will probably quit after two years, so comparing them to educators with over five years in the classroom isn’t going to tell you much.

2 Likes

Among the books included on the list were biographies of Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson of the Supreme Court and the civil rights activist and congressman John Lewis; a novel about a Lakota girl; and a picture book about different family types, including families with adoptive or same-sex parents. (NY Times)

As yes, we can’t have our delicate white boys learn about the life of (checks notes…) a Supreme Court Justice.

7 Likes

Then, sooner or later someone from Momsters against Library might offer to do it. That’s the easiest way to infiltrate. (Things I learned watching Scientology.)

4 Likes

Do these “own-grown” teachers belong to the union?

3 Likes

There is, in my opinion, a pretty simple solution to both teacher shortages and teacher quality. And I’ve been saying it since I was in high school. Raise teachers’ salaries. But no one ever wants to do that because OMG TAXES and because they think teaching is easy and they think teachers only work 9 months a year. Paying teachers what they’re actually worth would solve a lot. Not right away, but within a few years.

6 Likes

Honestly, I’m waiting for one of the remnants of the county’s shuttered Momster group to come after the fair and, indirectly, me. You make a good point about someone else popping up for a future fair, though. I find the future simultaneously concerning and comforting because I have absolutely no idea what to expect anymore. I just know one has already announced it’s never too soon to prepare for 2024’s school board elections…

11 Likes

Cant Reaction GIF

I keep seeing articles about how student performance has been affected by the pandemic. I’m sure there was an effect, but it seems like the continuous degradation of public school funding is the real culprit. The pandemic has just been the precipitating event that finally broke the system. It was already failing under the stress of defunding. The mistake these articles make is thinking the pandemic is the cause rather than starving the system of funds. And teacher pay is the linchpin.

9 Likes

Oh My God Omg GIF

Did you just DARE suggest that cutting taxes and defunding schools might cause a real problem with education?!? /bitter SSSSSSSSSSSSS

5 Likes

Selling fact-based curriculum based on women to teach American history:

6 Likes