Systems of education and its discontents

11 Likes

Gotta pay the sportsball coaches somehow, right?

11 Likes

schitts creek hello GIF by CBC

I was gonna say that we donā€™t even have that excuse, but then I remembered that GSU bought out the community college I teach part time at, and so, yeahā€¦ :rage:

8 Likes

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

12 Likes
8 Likes

I mean, I guessā€¦ but seems to me that the ā€œweā€ way of thinking about academia has long covered over a whole host of exploitative practices by those professors with power over undergrads, grad students, younger professors, etc. Since it was ā€œself-governingā€ there were few guardrails on that kind of thing, and plenty of people took advantage when they could. :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

He does address that.

The reality was inevitably less egalitarian and communitarian than this picture suggests, in all sorts of ways. Senior professors had too much power and inevitably, some of them abused it. And, given the times, lots of bad behaviour was tolerated that would not be now.

For good and ill, this has all been swept away, at least in Australia. Multiple layers of management are filled by people who have either left the academic life behind them or were never part of it. The university in this view, is not a community but a business enterprise, even if its ownership structure is rather opaque.

And itā€™s not like the bad parts have entirely gone away (although I have seen some egregious examples dealt with), but heā€™s asking whether the idea of collegiality had to go out with the bad.

4 Likes

Yeah, I sawā€¦ still. I think heā€™s downplaying the very real problems that existed in academia. Whatā€™s coming to replace it isnā€™t better by any stretch, butā€¦

Also true.

I think perhaps we can start looking at the current crisis as at least a chance to be rid of the old exploitative system and try to rethink what academia could be. If there are high ideals there, maybe we try and live up to those.

I donā€™t knowā€¦

5 Likes

4 Likes

Use AI to convert course readings into podcasts? Why not!

(Well, for one thing, would students even bother to read them, then?)

I suggest listening for a bit at the bottom of this page to the podcast that another new Google tool made of a chapter on Deconstruction. Itā€™s pretty hard to distinguish from two actual people talking about Deconstruction.

https://cwi.pressbooks.pub/lit-crit/part/gap-structuralism-and-deconstruction/

3 Likes