New law requires Florida universities to survey students about their political views to promote "intellectual diversity"

Originally published at: New law requires Florida universities to survey students about their political views to promote "intellectual diversity" | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Ah yes. The “people are saying” justification. How I’ve missed you.

44 Likes

“Please take a short survey about politics.”

“I’m of the firm belief that you should go fuck yourself, Quisling.”

56 Likes

So, will the next step be to ensure that those people registered for their views get something… say a badge?

32 Likes

Or an armband…

46 Likes

Presumably this policy is being supported by the same Republicans who vehemently oppose any kind of Affirmative Action for promoting racial diversity in college admissions.

69 Likes

The value of a diploma from anywhere in Florida has just sank through the floor.

21 Likes

For a party that claims to be about individualism, free markets and small government they’re being mighty Maoist.

60 Likes

Yup, the GOP has pretty much turned into the militant corporatists who call the shots in Beijing minus their views on God and guns.

25 Likes

So I presume they will similarly do an ideological test on the fundamentalist colleges to make sure they have enough liberal views being taught, right? Hello? Anybody home?

49 Likes

I guess indoctrination is only a problem when the ideas they’re getting indoctrinated with could improve things for people who aren’t wealthy white men.

31 Likes

No. The next step is that those people are sorted by their officially registered views, those views cross-checked against voter registration rolls, and the College/University penalized if those numbers are not “balanced” in the manner that the GOP’s hand-picked committee wants them to be. Perhaps a requirement that the committee review the colleges admission applications prior to allowing students to attend, and all staff hired must meet the committee’s approval beforehand. And the committee must approve all firing decisions. And the committee is granted power over the selection of all course material.

28 Likes

Oh I see a lot of “Hail Satan”'s coming down the line.

17 Likes

You wouldn’t know that if you had a Florida education.

25 Likes

According to the article, “faculty would not be promoted or fired based on their political views recorded in the survey.” Later in the article, we get this, “[another law signed today] will allow students to record lectures without consent that may be used as evidence in a civil or criminal case against educational institutions.” This is how they will get faculty. Not just through lawsuits against their employers, but taking the teachers’ (and potentially students’) words out of context and then targeting them via social media.

ETA: I hope the Florida branch of the ACLU gets involved.

44 Likes

Now I’m confused. Is the left or the right that gets criticized for cancel culture?

28 Likes

When conservatism is (increasingly) premised on believing things that simply aren’t true, you really have to crack down on any institution that allows people to realize that.

30 Likes

I’m a godless leftist, but that’s none of the state’s business
Worried

18 Likes

gotta loooooove “small government conservatives”

21 Likes

The Tampa Bay Times article that Raw Story cites includes this coda:

DeSantis’ push to promote “intellectual diversity” and competing ideas on college campuses comes two weeks after he championed a ban on specific lessons and discussions in K-12 public schools related to racism’s reach in American society.

At DeSantis’ request, the State Board of Education voted to bar lessons and discussions on the concept of critical race theory and “The 1619 Project.”

I love hanging out in this stock pot, but any of you other frogs think the water might be getting hotter?

25 Likes