Systems of Law and (In)Justice

This is now 2 that I have been shocked at. The mifepristone one and this. Maybe the pressure is getting to the less-bought-off justices?

6 Likes

It’s possible. I’m not sure about Thomas and Alito, but the rest of them do seem to be human.

5 Likes

Is he off somewhere raising some insurrectionist flag to piss of “the libs”?

yeah, even the trump appointees.

5 Likes

The Young Thug trial is now officially on indefinite hold, as another judge assesses the situation to see if Judge Glanville needs to recuse himself.

4 Likes

A judge refused to issue a stay of execution for this guy who prosectors are saying is the wrong guy. There is a hearing a month before the scheduled execution, so hopefully this works out, but this is why the death penalty should go away.
https://apnews.com/article/missouri-death-row-hearing-marcellus-williams-ceb2b400859cd053ce8c9717dfdf07b5

9 Likes

It was a Republican governor of Illinois that did away with the death penalty in the state, for just this reason. So many people on Death Row in Illinois were exonerated, which made him realize that by definition there were innocent people being put to death under his signature.

8 Likes

I’m not sure if this is good or bad. The 6th Circuit tossed the case for lack of standing. They said the theater company that filed the lawsuit wasn’t harmed by the law because their drag shows weren’t harmful to children, which is a requirement of the law (meaning a performance has to be harmful to children to fall within the scope of the ban). It’s an odd decision because the law specifically groups male and female impersonators in the same category as strippers (adult cabaret). So I applaud the court for finding that drag isn’t inherently harmful to children, but it seems to contradict the plain language of the Tennessee statute, so I’m confused. The theater group should use this decision as permission to go ahead with their drag shows. If the police try to shut it down using this statute, then the court will not be able to claim they don’t have standing. Or…the police will do nothing, which would render the statute pointless.
https://apnews.com/article/tennessee-drag-shows-ban-1bd25d455d13f81c0cab43674a054dd9

4 Likes

So, at best, the court did a halfass job. If they found that drag isn’t harmful to children, then they needed to strike that part of the law, right?

2 Likes

The law doesn’t use the word “drag” at all. Which was intentional. They were trying to give themselves an out when people accuse them of trying to ban drag. It just says something like banning performances of adult cabaret that are harmful to children if they are accessible to children. So it’s a super nonspecific statute, and if I wanted to go after it, I might attack it for being open to selective enforcement because it has such an imprecise definition. First, though, you need a plaintiff with undeniable standing. That’s why I said the theater group, and everyone else so inclined, should start drag shows in Tennessee today, open to children. Make sure they’re all G-rated shows. Let the police shut them down and charge them under this law. Then they have standing that the court won’t be able to deny. Or…the police will just ignore it all and then you have, essentially, a law that doesn’t do anything.

4 Likes

Logan Paul is an idiot.

4 Likes

A pox on the entire Paul family. (Thank goodness Aaron Paul isn’t related to them.)

4 Likes

I will never understand why AG’s fight these overturned convictions like it’s personal to them.

6 Likes

They don’t want to be seen as being soft on people who were wrongfully incarcerated.

6 Likes

They don’t like to admit they were wrong. And often they will say “he might not have done this crime but we know he got away with others, so it’s ok”.

I understand both of those replies, but neither of those are personal to the AG, and these assholes consistently act like this shit is personal to them, when usually the convictions happened decades ago, so that the current AG had nothing to do with it. I could maybe see it if they had been the prosecutor on the case. But they weren’t. They had nothing to do with the case. I get the politics of being seen as tough on crime. But that doesn’t explain why they treat these like they think the person killed their mother.

5 Likes

I think it’s built-in to the personality types who become AGs. That’s just how they are programmed - put away as many people as they can. The law, right and wrong, just don’t matter. Think of it as the logical extreme of the adversarial system - if they are supposed to try every case to the best of their ability, then the logical extension (to them) for a prosecutor is to put as many people as possible in prison. It’s the defense’s job to keep them out, like opposing forces of nature.

4 Likes

This is a really thorough look at exactly what went wrong with the Alec Baldwin prosecution.

4 Likes

By the way, I wanted to share a really helpful resource. This is a good place to find out general information about “the law” in the United States. Lots of good stuff on here.

9 Likes

This issue was brought up in a different thread, and I don’t remember what thread it was, so I’m posting this here.

4 Likes
6 Likes