Systems of Law and (In)Justice

“TikTok makes choices about the content recommended and promoted to specific users, and by doing so, is engaged in its own first-party speech,” Circuit Judge Patty Shwartz wrote for the three-judge panel that decided the case.
The ruling, which legal experts described as novel

It is novel, but I like it. I like it a lot.

8 Likes

Start with TikTok, then go for FaceBook, Xitter, and YouTube. I wouldn’t be surprised if those companies filed amicus briefs. Shitstained ones…

4 Likes

Yeah, I hadn’t really thought about this before, but once they all went from merely hosting content that users uploaded to driving views to specific content through a proprietary algorithm, they removed themselves from the reasoning behind the safe harbor provision. They’re no longer just a host for the content. They’re now a promoter as well. And that should make them liable for that speech that they are promoting.

7 Likes
5 Likes

The process of kicking Coffman and his family out of the home was done legally under a new Florida law called HB 621 that went effect July 1.

Well…no, it wasn’t done legally, because…

[HB 621] does require due diligence on the part of law enforcement who are required to verify the person making the claim is telling the truth about the situation and is the actual homeowner. That didn’t happen in Coffman’s case.

So, big shocker, law enforcement didn’t do their job. They just assumed the person who filed the affidavit was telling the truth. Ironically, the same law was then used a few weeks later to kick that guy out of the house so the Coffmans could move back in. Unfortunately the guy also stole a bunch of their stuff.

And this is why it’s supposed to be difficult to remove someone from a property. People are entitled to due process. Even if they’re squatters, which these people weren’t. But requiring due process even in the case of squatters helps ensure that rightful residents aren’t evicted by mistake.

11 Likes

I don’t know if someone lit a fire under the Justice Department’s ass or what, but they are on fire lately.

Maybe Merrick Garland is auditioning to keep his job once Harris takes over?

9 Likes

“I’m not systemically racist. I’m a new racist,” said Ryan, who was first elected in 2010.

This is a thing? Also,

Her father, James Ryan, was a state and federal judge. A brother, Daniel Ryan, was also a judge.

Looks like we ned to look into some other folks…

8 Likes
7 Likes

THREE TENETS OF self-defense law prove troublesome for abused women. These are imminence, proportionality and reasonableness. The threat of great bodily harm or death to the victim must be imminent; her actions must be reasonable, given the situation; and her response to the violence or the threat of violence must be proportional.

The other problem is that even when these three factors are on a woman’s side, even when it’s not domestic violence, the law in practice does not give women the benefit of the doubt. And this goes double for women of color and trans women. There was a case a few years ago, I think in Philadelphia, where a trans woman was attacked at a fast food restaurant by a group of men. She defended herself and killed one of them. Guess who went to prison?

10 Likes

A more objective look at the Tyreek Hill arrest than I’ve seen in most media.

4 Likes

of course this story is HUGE here in the Way South Florida (even though the 'fins play 100 miles away), so we have been getting a lot of coverage, and none of it has been good for that cop.
just tonight, the police union rep and the cop’s attorney are asking that the ACAB pig-dude be given his assignment back, due to his “accomodations for service”. however, it has also come to light that this cop has had 50 citizen complaints for “discourteous behavior” - meaning, the dude has a real problem communicating with people without being an asshole.

that it took a high-profile Black man getting this very common treatment from police is telling. expect more from this incident to come out.

5 Likes

Yeah, I’m not the biggest Tyreek Hill fan, but he didn’t deserve that. And he made a really good point at that press conference. What if it had been someone who wasn’t a famous football star? But I posted that video, because in a lot of other online spaces, I keep seeing people just trashing Hill and assuming he was in the wrong here because of his past violent behavior.

4 Likes