Take a look at the bogus athletic resume Lori Loughlin concocted to get her daughter into USC

I wonder where she got that idea from.

Depends what races you’re doing. If all your club does is 2k regattas in a straight line, then steering is a relatively minor part of the cox’s skill set. If you’re doing races on winding rivers with bridges and currents, like the Head of the Charles, the Tideway Heads or the Boat Race, then steering is vital.

Taking a bad line on the Thames, even if you don’t hit anything, can cost you a minute or more. I’ve often heard it said that, while coxes don’t win races, they can very easily lose them.

2 Likes

Have I mentioned the time that my coxswain skills resulted in two racing eights colliding head-on?

I think we broke three oars…

3 Likes

The interesting thing is that I think it’s all fake. They just named a (real) club and then came up with some HOCR finishing positions, but as far as I can tell boats from that club didn’t finish in those positions.

The resume says she steered a women’s eight and a men’s four for MAC (Marina Aquatic Center). In 2016, 11th place in Men’s Youth Fours went to Sarasota Crew (MAC came 31st) while in Women’s Youth Eights it went to Headington School in England (MAC came 9th).

3 Likes

Two thoughts…

Perhaps if mommy and daddy had put all that money towards a tutor the daughter could have made it in on merit. I did say “Perhaps”.

Secondly, I bet if they asked said coxswain champion what a coxswain was she would have provided a classic “deer in the headlights” look or an off color answer related to adult movies.

1 Like

[quote=“Jerry_Vandesic, post:17, topic:161871, full:true”]

Yes, she did indeed make that claim, which was a damned lie, for which she deserves our disapprobation. You may well wonder how the women (or men; some [all?] coxswain spots are open to either) who deserve these honors feel about her stolen valor. The 2016 HOCR results are here: https://www.regattacentral.com/regatta/results2/?job_id=4699

My (very narrow) point is just that none of this is identity theft, as another poster claimed. She didn’t claim the identity of some particular coxswain. She claimed only to have accomplished what they accomplished. She gave USC her real name. It’s still a shitty thing to do, but it’s a different shitty thing from identity theft, which is a specific shitty thing.

I’m not making any kind of defense of Olivia Jade. It’s more a defense of the English language.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.