Federal prosecutors release rowing photos Lori Loughlin allegedly used to get daughters into USC

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/13/federal-prosecutors-release-ro.html

3 Likes

I’m the polar opposite to a sports-oriented person but I’ve known women rowers and former rowers, so even I know that those shoulders and arms, especially as presented in the midst of ‘exercising’, are clearly not indicative of any rowing training whatsoever.

17 Likes

But will mom qualify for the prison team?

11 Likes

Why in holy hell would prosecutors release these photos without explicit permission from the person in the photo? Not classy, and questionably illegal.

3 Likes

It’s “shoo-in”

6 Likes

I mean, she sort of is an un-indicted co-conspirator, isn’t she? I’m not a fan of prosecutors releasing this kind of evidence in general, however, as it only serves to try and taint the jury pool.

2 Likes

If she had good technique, she’d smack her head on the wall when she reaches the finish position. Any competent coach would have seen that immediately.

9 Likes

And something else appears to be missing: The part of her brain that otherwise would have told her parents that she would not participate in the scam and to fuck off.

2 Likes

Well - that’s why you have a trial. Of course- they did provide those photos to Singer and knew she wasn’t on the crew team.

“ “Lori and Moss, I met with USC today [and] I need a PDF of her transcript and test scores very soon while I create a coxswain portfolio for her,” Singer wrote. “It would probably help to get a picture with her on an ERG in workout clothes like a real athlete too.”

Giannulli responded, “Fantastic. Will get all,” the documents show.

After Isabella was accepted, prosecutors say, Giannulli emailed his financial adviser, “Good news my [older] daughter is in [U]SC bad [news] is I had to work the system,” according to People.”

And she knew her daughters didn’t earn their place themselves based upon their own efforts and qualifications.

10 Likes

If she had actually been using the machine, her feet would’ve been strapped in. And if she took the sport seriously, she wouldn’t be using a water rower. It’s like her folks said, “here, sit on this piece of furniture.” >click< “good.”

1 Like

Welcome to boingboing, Ms Loughlin. I’m sure you’ll be here awhile!

10 Likes

full-house-aunt-becky-um

10 Likes

The photo is evidence of criminal conduct, and it is being relied upon in a criminal trial. Why wouldn’t that be public evidence?

Needs more @frauenfelder
Please fix, Mark, before it propagates any further.

2 Likes

For absolutely no logical reason, I somehow blame the Winklevii

I applaud your correct usage of apostrophes. Now work on the punctuation.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s what bothers me.

Also, having two girls who are about to hit that age…

If you distribute pictures of them online without my (or their) okay I will have problems. Too many creeps out there. I’ve had to lock down photo sharing accounts that I setup to send grand-parents pics because reasons.

1 Like

I agree entirely. As far as I can see the parents were doing what rich people do.
They were paying someone to game the system so they got preferential treatment.
The college accepted their story without question, and were probably happy the child of a famous actor was going to be at the school.
There could probably be hundreds of these prosecutions every year.

There were quite a few misspelled words, too. And shall we have some fun discussing the grammar and syntax?

4 Likes

When I see incoherent fan flappings like this, insisting that their beloved star is too special to face consequences for their actions, I find I have some grudging respect for Felicity Huffman: when caught, she admitted her part in the crime, and did her time.

10 Likes